Just got my MCAT scores, really disappointed, should I still apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kleimanb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my MCAT scores today - 500 (123/123/125/129) and I don't know what happen. My sGPA is 3.55 and cGPA is 3.67. I don't know how to interpret how the CP and CARS section will be looked at or if the score will be screened out. I really want to apply and get into any DO school this cycle but with this score I'm not sure what to think. I have a DO LOR, lots of DO shadowing and have decent ECs. Please let me know what you think, or if there are certain schools you know that might be an option.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If the rest of your app is solid I'd apply. Your overall is fine... it's your 123's that may kill you. (esp. since it's in 2 sections). My guess would be the newest schools would be your best bet. Regardless of what anyone says, you won't know until you try! So if you can apply, apply in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
This cycle is already pushing it. sGPA is good, but some schools do have a section minimum (which you may be below).
I'd apply BUT I'd also start studying to retake in case I don't get accepted. And if you do apply start NOW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received my MCAT scores today - 500 (123/123/125/129) and I don't know what happen. My sGPA is 3.55 and cGPA is 3.67. I don't know how to interpret how the CP and CARS section will be looked at or if the score will be screened out. I really want to apply and get into any DO school this cycle but with this score I'm not sure what to think. I have a DO LOR, lots of DO shadowing and have decent ECs. Please let me know what you think, or if there are certain schools you know that might be an option.

Thanks
Yes. Apply broadly. Skip CCOM, the coastal Touros and AZCOM.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks

Applying broadly to the new programs especially could make you successful! But don't rush an app, there are always more MCAT dates and there is always next cycle.

Thanks

I always advise based on your desire* to pracrice^ medicine.

If you want to get into a descent school, shoot for a 30; if you desire to get into a good school, shoot for a 40.

Keep in mind that these are target values (what to aim for, but that if score within -3 of score, you will still be highly completive, compared to if you met target goal for given desire, you will be very highly competive) to get into medical school.

*desire in this context is the desire to get into medical school

^practice I'm happy to go into detail if you want me to explain what desire to practice means to me in my preferred context and expound upon, as I'm out of characters!

-biDOC

Apply broadly as directed in this thread, while taking an MCAT prep course, retaking the mcat, and applying MD next year.

I think you are still ok for DO. Apply broadly and avoid the schools that Goro suggested as they have a strong MCAT emphasis. You'd be good for VCOM as they don't seem to care about MCAT as long as your GPA is good. I interviewed with someone that had a 3.5 and 500 MCAT. He's got 6 DO interviews as of yesterday. Apply to 20+ DO schools and I bet you'll get some interviews assuming you have atleast average ECs.

Good Luck!