phishphan

15+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2001
philadelphia
Status (Visible)
Message...Can you just explain a little bit more about this letter you received and why you view it as a marketing tool? I am sure many are not familiar with this DPM-MD program, at least not me.

THanks

the message

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2001
cleveland, OH,44120
Status (Visible)
Well Phisphan! NYCPM, in collaboration with IUHS(another school in the West Indies) is offering this combined program that will lead to your DPM and allow you to sit for the USMLE examinations by accepting credits from NYCPM. If the DPM is not sufficient, close the f%@#ing school down. NYCPM claims that they have the most attractive program of the seven podiatry schools, which is the reason why IUHS came to them. They will go to any extreme to get students it seems! I will go as far as to expose the program at NYCPM by giving you a response in the podiatry forum by a NYCPM student:

"I am a pod student who is transferring to Barry U from the New York CPM. I'm glad because I am going to Barry where students have passed the boards 100% of the time (the first time they sat) for the last four years. Barry students are also in the top residencies in the nation. I'm not trying to sway your opinion but you will soon realize that it is not necessarily where you start with a school but where you end up. Unfortunately at NYCPM I did not see success as 7 people failed the boards this year (which is an improvement as 20 students failed last year.) I know NYCPM will produce many fine doctors but you have to be concerned about reasoning behind MD/DPM programs, and giving away Palm pilots and laptop computers to those who successfully recruit students. Find a school that you are confident will help you become the best physician and person, because the profession greatly needs more of these people (as do all!). Welcome to the profession my best wishes to you!"

About the Ads

efs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2001
Germany
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatrist
What in the world is going on at NYCPM? Are they the only ones who don't see the problems in their "recruiting" tactics? The students know it for sure, and it seems fairly obvious to most of the people I've talked to. Do they think thier prospective students don't see through it as well?
Or do they just not realize what they are doing?

Stu

15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2001
Des Moines
Status (Visible)
The more I hear about that program, the happier I am that they are not a member of the AACPM. I'm sure a motivated student could go there and still do well, but their recruitment tactics appear unethical to me.

cg2a93

15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2001
TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatrist
I cant comment on the program(DPM-MD), because I dont know about it nor am I interested, but I can talk about the clinical experience at NYCPM and it is unmatched by any school or institution of podiatry in the world. Our clinics are always busy and the pathology we see is great (for us not the patient). We have a pediatric section that is busy, no other school can come close clinically. With that said, I know that the president(not a DPM) of our school and the higher ups are business men and are money driven which is evident in many facets of our school. I would tell anyone interested in comming to NYCPM to do your homework because it is not for everyone. Overall I dont think our school is spectacular or terrible. Our basic sciences are so-so with some great professors and some absolute horrible professors. Our clinical experience is unmatched.
This is just my opinion , there are people out there who have total opposite opinions. I suggest anybody interested in a particular school should get as many opinions as possible.
good luck

efs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2001
Germany
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatrist
I'm glad to hear a positive response about NYCPM. All negatives means you are probably not getting the full story.

DO you feel that the school prepares all the students adequately, or is there a fair number that are admitted to help boost the numbers? Are they admitting people who are probably not capable of completing their education? I'm just curious, because I think that it could reflect negatively on the whole profession, not just the one school.

Thanks.

together

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2000
Boston, MA
Status (Visible)
I also received this information from NYCPM. How is this program designed, anyway? I would imagine 4 years of DPM training followed by 2 years of MD training and the concomitant residency. Am I right?

Together

PTjay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2001
west hartford, CT, USA
Status (Visible)
i got this in the form of an email from my premed advisor. not sure how the program is exactly set up. i actually attended a meeting run by an admissions officer from NYCPM at my school. if i can't get into medical school i may consider going to pod school.

just be careful with pod and make sure it's for you. i've researched and found some things that have made me think twice.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.