just got my oat scores

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by JG777, Nov 17, 2002.

1. JG777

JG777 Member

YES! that's right...i got them unofficially at the SCCO Open House on Saturday.....yeah everyone was feaking out when they announced that they have our scores.....

so i need some advice whether or not i should retake the oat next october, since i'm applying next fall....

here are my scores:
    academic average 330
    quant. reas.: 310
    read.comp: 340
    physics: 310
    bio: 350
    g.chem: 340
    o.chem: 340
    total science: 340

gpa: 2.6...working on my last year of undergrad, will be taking more classes at a jc during the summer and next school year.

i know i definitely need to bring my gpa up to even get an interview, but should i attempt to retake the oat to bring up quant. reas. and physics? i'm sad to say that i didn't attain my goal of 350/360...so tha'ts why i'm wondering if i should go ahead and retake.

oh yeah...for those thinkign about taking kaplan....this guy i know got a 400, i think that was his total science....so i think kaplan does work, because he used all the resources kaplan can offer and studied all the time. wow huh!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    I would talk to a counselor and see what they think. (an OD school admissions counselor.. not your undergrad counselor) I know the ones at SCCO are exceptionally helpful. Depending on what schools you're applying to your scores are great. You do have to work on the GPA and you know that. If you take classes at a JC and get a 3.7 or better they definitely look at that first. (progressive increase in grades) So, I'm my no very valuable opinion I think the retake is going to depend on the schools you want to shoot for. Taking it again you risk some of your good scores dropping for the sake of increasing your two weaker subjects. I had a 330 total score and a GPA around 3.0 and got into two of the three schools I applied to. So, it can be done!
    Good luck!

Eyegirl.. are you freaking out yet?? ;)

4. r_salis

r_salis SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    Wow, JG777 -- your scores are great! Good job!!! :clap: I agree w/cpw about talking w/some opt school counselors to see if it would mean anything to them to take it again -- but as long as you have a couple semesters to show them an upward trend in your GPA, I can't imagine that they'd want to see better OAT scores.

You realize what this means for the rest of us, though...

The schools have our OAT scores already!!!!!! :eek: :scared: :wow: If they meet this week we could potentially have their decisions before Thanksgiving!!!! Aaaaaiiiiiggghhh!!!! :eek:

5. christie

christie Senior Member

Your scores are great!! Congratulations!!:clap:

6. JG777

JG777 Member

thanks.....

i think i will go ahead and get in touch with the OD school counselors.

thanks for the replies =)