Just got my RDH, BS and want to go to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD=mydream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have a question regarding extracurricular/volunteer work. Here's my background:

I'm 23, got my bachelor's degree in dental hygiene from the University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry. I recently was planning on applying to dental school however due to our dental schools philosophy regarding the oral-systemic link and after doing clinical rotations in the oral maxillofacial department I decided that medicine was the best route for me. After I graduated I applied to medical school in the Philippines to try and save money, finished a semester at the University of Santo Tomas and decided that the education I received wasn't good. So now I'm in the process of applying to medical school here in the US.

I still have to finish prerequisites (they weren't required for medical school acceptance in the Philippines) so I am enrolling in a post-bacc program at Mill's College while studying for the MCAT.

As a non-tradtional major, I want to see if my extracurricular/volunteer activities would benefit my application for medical school.

While in dental hygiene school I volunteered at a special needs home, a volunteer dental clinic for the the uninsured, and I provided dental hygiene care (sealants, cleanings, and preventive dental care education) for children at Give Kids a Smile, and Remote Area Medical. Most of this experience was entirely dental and I'm not sure if it would count (I'm hoping it will because it's healthcare)...After receiving my license as an RDH,BS I continued my volunteering as a dental hygienist at the clinic for the uninsured after returning from the Philippines.

I appreciate any help regarding this. I apologize for such a long post.

Members don't see this ad.