just got my score and got a 496

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nkafeel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
should i still apply?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a 23 on the old scale. Not good. At all, I'm afraid.

To answer your question, we'll really need more information, including your GPAs, your ECs, volunteering, etc.

My main question for you is this: did you even prepare for the MCAT?

Also, what was your score breakdown? I'm guessing you would be automatically screened by many schools for low section scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what was your score breakdown? I'm guessing you would be automatically screened by many schools for low section scores.

I took one in 2012 and got less than a 20, I took the one in January (old MCAT). My EC's are excellent. about to calculate my gpa

now this new one:

127 ps
121 cars
124 BS
124 psych

That's a 23 on the old scale. Not good. At all, I'm afraid.

To answer your question, we'll really need more information, including your GPAs, your ECs, volunteering, etc.

My main question for you is this: did you even prepare for the MCAT?
can I pm you?

Sorry buddy, with one attempt resulted in a less than 20 and another that sill in the low 20's you won't get in. Doesn't matter the ECs, as harsh as this sounds, you currently do not possess the academic ability to handle medical school curriculum. Try one more time with the MCAT, give your all, and see it as your last chance of becoming a doctor. Come back to us next year and give us some good news. Until then, study hard and be determined.

I took one in 2012 and got less than a 20, I took the one in January (old MCAT). My EC's are excellent. about to calculate my gpa

now this new one:

127 ps
121 cars
124 BS
124 psych
Decent P/C score, actually, and the 124s aren't terrible, but it's the 121 in CARS that's the death knell.

Decent P/C score, actually, and the 124s aren't terrible, but it's the 121 in CARS that's the death knell.

A 124 in BS is roughly equal to an 8 in the old MCAT. That's a bad thing, though not as deadly as the 121 CARS (equal to about a 4-5)

No, retake. But fix your deficits first.

Agreed. OP, I recommend to calm yourself and relax for a while without thinking about the MCAT. Once you're all settled, you should go to the MCAT Discussion Forums and consult the 509+ thread and advisers (I believe they are NextStep and someone similar) for more help. Have confidence. You can do this and smash this exam out of the park.

Reactions: 1 user
A 124 in BS is roughly equal to an 8 in the old MCAT. That's a bad thing, though not as deadly as the 121 CARS (equal to about a 4-5)

Agreed. OP, I recommend to calm yourself and relax for a while without thinking about the MCAT. Once you're all settled, you should go to the MCAT Discussion Forums and consult the 509+ thread and advisers (I believe they are NextStep and someone similar) for more help. Have confidence. You can do this and smash this exam out of the park.
Yeah, but like I said, not terrible. Not good either, but not really his/her limiting factor lol!

Yeah, but like I said, not terrible. Not good either, but not really his/her limiting factor lol!

@Goro said a 7 in BS would be a pretty bad red flag, so an 8 isn't exactly any better. The good news is they can be improved pretty substantially (few of the members in the past went from a 7 to a 14 in the MCAT BS).

But yeah, that verbal needs to be substantially improved. The rest can follow from there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my score back today too. 496 as well. I prepared but have not yet taken biochemistry, and I think that was my downfall.

Anyway, I am still going to apply. Only to D.O. schools though, I know I would not get into any M.D. school with that score.
I have a strong GPA and extracurriculars, so I hope I might just get into atleast one D.O. school. Definitely going to retake next year once I have a semester of biochem under my belt.

I just got my score back today too. 496 as well. I prepared but have not yet taken biochemistry, and I think that was my downfall.

Anyway, I am still going to apply. Only to D.O. schools though, I know I would not get into any M.D. school with that score.
I have a strong GPA and extracurriculars, so I hope I might just get into atleast one D.O. school. Definitely going to retake next year once I have a semester of biochem under my belt.

Are you applying this year?

Since no one can stop you from applying, I might as well tell you that you may have a chance with new DO schools, WVSOM, or DMU-COM.

should i still apply?
No, well we don't know about your GPA, sGPA, or ECs. Rather then applying, you should spend time studying for the MCAT, again (sorry). You can still improve your score and have a much better chance next cycle.

How long did you prepare for the exam? If you prepared sufficiently...and you still weren't able to translate that into success..I'd take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself if you truly want to pursue this. The MCAT is definitely a beast...but medical school is a different beast altogether. Then add on board exams...maybe examinations aren't for you. Unfortunately, taking 7 hour exams is just something you have to do to become a doctor. Retake a third time, prepare for a minimum of 3 months..preferably longer based on the fact you got <20 on the old MCAT. Hope everything works out for you!

now this new one:

127 ps
121 cars
124 BS
124 psych
OP you said you took one in January. What was your score for that one? And which score did you apply with? I saw some of your other post about your mcat not being verified.

OP you said you took one in January. What was your score for that one? And which score did you apply with? I saw some of your other post about your mcat not being verified.
Terribly sorry. This was my siblings post.

Since no one can stop you from applying, I might as well tell you that you may have a chance with new DO schools, WVSOM, or DMU-COM. No, well we don't know about your GPA, sGPA, or ECs. Rather then applying, you should spend time studying for the MCAT, again (sorry). You can still improve your score and have a much better chance next cycle.

496 is 21-22 on the new scale. Looking at his past posts, he has a GPA around of 3.5-3.6, which makes him competitive at all the D.O schools. I haven't found the exact numbers, unless I missed them.

OP has chances at ACOM, LUCOM, LMUCOM, WVSOM, Burrell COM, but NOT at DMUCOM. Donations are appreciated though.

Red: I agree. Retake and slay the evolved monster.

496 is 21-22 on the new scale. Looking at his past posts, he has a GPA around of 3.5-3.6, which makes him competitive at all the D.O schools. I haven't found the exact numbers, unless I missed them.

OP has chances at ACOM, LUCOM, LMUCOM, WVSOM, Burrell COM, but NOT at DMUCOM. Donations are appreciated though.

Red: I agree. Retake and slay the evolved monster.

^ This.

DMU average MCAT is a 28.

a 23 will have no chance at DMU unless maybe super extenuating circumstances or URM. Even then, it might be a slim shot at DMU.

I say this because there isnt a large difference between a 40 and a 35 really...

but there is an astronomical difference between a 28 and a 23.

Yes. Hope to have my application submitted by mid August

You will struggle this cycle if you send out this year in August. I definitely think you can land interviews are certain schools. However, it will suck when you see guys getting interviews even sooner than yourself and at a greater amount simply because they have an MCAT that just 2-3 points higher than yourself. Just brace yourself if you do send out this cycle. I would highly recommend retaking and applying next year.

If a 496 is indeed a 23-22, I would say ur chances are not completely shot if you apply to some of the more mission based schools. But, if you go down that road, u better make sure you fit thier mission.

Personally, I would prolly retake something less than a 500.

I'd say very low chances at the bottom end of schools, but even then, many of those schools give preference to low scoring students of the area.