Just got my step score. 244. Can I match into the more competitive specialties (optho, ortho, ent, derm)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

introp445

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my step score. 244. Can I match into the more competitive specialties (optho, ortho, ent, derm)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah your step score won’t be what holds you back

Reactions: 1 user
Article/post from 2018.

U.S. allopathic seniors successful in matching to the specialties of Dermatology, Interventional Radiology, Neurological Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Otolaryngology, Plastic Surgery, Radiation Oncology, and Diagnostic Radiology scored the highest on Step 1, circulating around the range of 240 and 250.

Balance is important.

Work on publications, participate in research projects, gather work and volunteer experiences, improve on your performance, and practice a sensible attitude to carry on until you step into the actual clinical setting

Reactions: 1 users
As noted above your step score won’t be what holds you back. I’m some ways, step scores are less important for more competitive fields simply because everyone has a good one. Make sure everything else is as strong as it can be and you should do well.

It's not a great score, but it won't hold you back. Depends on rotation grades, class standing derivatives (AOA, rank, etc.), and Step 2CK.

Nothing is closed off with that score.

Now just make sure the other portions of your application are strong.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone's right that that score won't hold you back from any field, but it won't be a giant plus for those fields either. Make sure you get at least a 250 on Step 2, do research, and get solid clinical grades and you should be good.

This thread illustrates is what’s wrong with the Step scoring system with respect to career choice. Your desired field is/should be a choice independent from your board scores.