Just got OHSU secondary.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to let you guys know about that. It's on printed paper and you need to type it out.

Members don't see this ad.

CONGRATS, Tweetie!! :D Hope you have better luck with them than I did. :)

I'll amen to that! thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they rejected me because they were sure I'd go to my state school (UWSOM 'cuz Alaska doesn't have a med school), only I didn't get in there either!!:(

Although they do take some out-of-staters, they apparently like it if you have ties to the state (which I had, up the wazoo, but apparently not enough).

does OHSU screen? I just got a secondary today and i submitted AMCAS in june

I have heard both ways, that it screens and also doesn't.

SMW--you had a killer app last year, why did they not even send you a secondary??? :confused: I don't even have a connection to Oregon. Actually, I think it might have something to do with a publication I had that addressed the Oregon Medical System. It's on my AMCAS and they probably were interested in what i had to say.

Scienceriot--I am on the West coast. So yes, I'd say close to Oregon. I actually got the letter yesterday, I just didn't have time to post about it then so I did it today.

any questions? fire away!

tweetie,
what kind of info does it ask for? are there any essay questions?
thanks!

let me get home and i will PM them to you. I am at work right now.

ok thanks... don't need all the info, just a general idea.

i can't believe i've made over 1000 posts -- how embarrassing!

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird

SMW--you had a killer app last year, why did they not even send you a secondary??? :confused: I don't even have a connection to Oregon. Actually, I think it might have something to do with a publication I had that addressed the Oregon Medical System. It's on my AMCAS and they probably were interested in what i had to say.

I did get a secondary and even an interview. I thought my interviews went well, but they did seem to be under some sort of misapprehension that I was an Alaska native. :confused: (I put on AMCAS that I am 1/4 Hispanic). I sent them a letter after my interview detailing all my ties to the state, which are extensive (lots of relatives live there, we visit every year, my parents lived there before moving to Alaska, my Dad used to teach law school there). I love the city of Portland and the Oregonian lifestyle, and might have gone there over Columbia if they'd given me the chance.

Yes, I'm sure that they would be very interested in your publication on the Oregon health system. Maybe you could elaborate on it on that question they have that pretty much lets you talk about anything you want.

Originally posted by lola

i can't believe i've made over 1000 posts -- how embarrassing!

Hey, you're only at 5.76 posts per day, while I'm at 7.21 and have been keeping it up for a lot longer ! :D

Originally posted by SMW
Hey, you're only at 5.76 posts per day, while I'm at 7.21 and have been keeping it up for a lot longer ! :D

7.21 posts/day??...now that's embarrassing! :laugh:

ok, so here's the info you wanted.

75 bucks for supplemental.

LORs: 3 colege or university facultey from any dept. It is recommended that at least one be from a sicence dept faculty member. IF you atteneded or are attending an institution that provides a pre med cmmitte eval report, you may haev the ocmmittee report submitted in lieu of 3 separate recs. Applicants who have been out of college for 5 years or more may submit two letters from employers and one faculty letters. It is highly recommended that applicanets provide additional non-academic recs (work, community service, health care experience).

Secondary personal comments: (optional) this space is provided for any comments you may wish to direct specifically to this institution. (Examples: research, course work, travel, sports, hobbies, philosophy, etc.) Use additionaal paper if necessary but please do not exceed one page.

Whewwwwwww. That's all the info I can give for "MD APPLICANTS ONLY." there's a separate one for MD/PhD. Also, a photo is optional on the secondary.

Sorry about all the spelling mistakes. I typed this out in like less than a minute.

thanks tweetie! :)

from what I hear, OHSU sends secondaries to the majority of applicants in the WICHE states (CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, ND, SD, AK, HI, AZ, NM, UT, CO), and selected applicants (MD/PhD and MD/MPH with good stats, whatever that means) from the rest of the country. I remember a girl from AZ (1/2 Japanese, 1/2 white) on here getting an interview and waitlist spot at OHSU with a 3.83, 29, so if you are from the West or AK or Hawii you have a decent shot. however, this is mostly hearsay on my part; feel free to correct me. Oregon is a cool place, never been there but my mom was born and spent much of her childhood there; seriously thinking about applying for internship and residency there... good luck to you:)

BTW, I had no idea, SMW, that Alaska had a substantial Hispanic population! We have you, mpp, and a guy in my class, and that's 3/3 people that I know from AK! thanks for enlightening us, seriously:)

Hmmm Oregon. I call it home! Great state...not as much rain as everyone would lead you to beleive! Great year round temperature...shall I go on? And speaking as a patient (acually my son) of OHSU, the facilities and hospital are top notch. The physician we have most contact with (also professor of medicine) is perhaps one of half a dozen experts in the world. Although being a patient at a teaching hospital does get old! (we do tire of all the "shadows" during each procedure but I guess we could say no?)

Originally posted by scienceriot
Wow, I didn't know WICHE included so many states. What does WICHE stand for?

By the way, I called OHSU yesterday to see if I had been selected for a secondary and I got an answering machine basically saying "Don't bother us, *******; if you were selected for a secondary you will hear about it promptly." So don't waste your long distance calling them!

There's also WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho).

If you wait until the very end of their phone message and actually choose the option to speak to someone, you will end up speaking to a very nice young woman named, I believe, Jennifer. I too was put off by their machine message last year, but finally ended up speaking to her several times, and she was always very nice and willing to help.