just got put on "hold" at UCSD

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by qwerty one, Oct 17, 2002.

1. qwerty one

qwerty one Senior Member

Should I kiss that school goodbye?

And also, I'm an August MCATer and I'm guessing they just recently got my scores. Is that what prompted the sudden response from them you think?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. qwerty one

qwerty one Senior Member

That bad, huh?

4. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Hey...there were some people who got put on hold who subsequently got taken off hold in the past few weeks. Was it Jot? And someone else too, I think.

5. qwerty one

qwerty one Senior Member

Did they appeal the hold or just let it take its natural course?

6. Nefertari

Nefertari Undercover Premed

Another hold?? :rolleyes: Is their strategy to wait for the other UC's to take action?

7. jtheater

jtheater Senior Member

I think that may be a tactic of the UC's. I got put on hold by SD (before my app was even complete) but got an invite from SF. I think my app screams "I want to go to UCSF" so that could be a reason. Or they just didn't like me as much. Has anyone heard hold news from SF? They have been notorious for that in the past.

8. cbpremed

cbpremed Senior Member

I got the hold too from UCSD....guess this means they don't wanna see me. :)
    Oh well, you never know...don't stress about it though....
    :)

9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member

anyone try to challenge the 'hold'?

10. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

No appeals. Search for this thread for details, I s'pose...

11. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

I don't think it's related to the other UCs. What makes you think that?

12. Nefertari

What I meant was that the lower-ranked UC's are taking longer (i.e. putting people on interview hold) to see if they will @ some point be seriously pursuing another school & withdraw. That way, they don't waste an interview offer. Maybe UCSD speculates that someone from northern CA would most likely prefer to attend the other UC's. Naturally, SD would love to have a stellar candidate, however, if that person ends up choosing another school, then SD can readily pull someone off its long hold list. Also, later in the process, apps become more desperate & therefore, honest @ whether a certain school is their top choice. The old threads from previous years discussed this.

Anyhow, SF, LA & Davis also put apps on hold, but it seems not as many as SD (pre-interview) or Irvine (post-interview).

SF is the only online status site that has a password. If a UC is trying to make a decision @ offering 2ndaries/interviews, it seems tempting for them to log on & check how many 2ndaries/interviews an app has received. They probably don't have time to do this w/ everyone, but I'm wondering if they're ethical enough to resist doing this w/ some borderline apps. Hopefully, the Princeton admissions scandal is a deterrent.

13. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Well I know someone who got interviews from 4 out of 5 (all but Davis so far, and they're not interviewing yet, right? And SD might have been the first one. It's a nice theory though, and probably rather true in practice.

Well, lots o' schools added passwords after the Yale thing. Penn Med sent out a special email referring to something like "recent events in the media"...

14. Nefertari

Wow, that app must be the cream of the crop & be wanted by all the UC's no matter what (an exception to my theory)! Could you please keep us updated (if she's not an sdner) on her post-interview results? I'm thinking that she probably won't be accepted to all 5 UC's, esp. since it sounds like she has a superb chance @ top private schools.

So far this year, SD has been way ahead of the other UC's in terms of processing. They started sending out 2ndaries the 3rd week in July! SF & LA didn't until mid-Aug. This has given them a lot of time to scope out the app pool & compile a well-stocked interview hold list in anticipation of how the next few months will pan out. Btw, Yogi posted that Davis will be notifying @ interviews in Nov.

How've you fared so far w/ the UC's, RA? Are you applying this year? Wish you well! Check in w/ ya later! ;)

15. MGoBlue13

MGoBlue13 Grizzled Member

I've been on hold at UCSD since mid-august.... so maybe the list isn't moving for me like it moved for others.

Who wants to live in La Jolla anyways, with its 70 degree year round temperatures with no humidity and its incredibly beautiful people and beaches???

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Dr. Wall$treet

Banned

ha, obviously you have never been there or lived there.. no humidity? SD is like one of the more humid places around in cal... not saying its not my fav place in the USA just sayign it is relativly humid!

18. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member

I can't speak for him (wait till he's back from WashU) but I believe that Jot was put on hold, sent a polite email to ask why (an informal challenge) and they responded to the email with an interview invitation. However, I also know they didn't do this for other people who challenged, and keep in mind Jot is MSTP, not MD only.

19. MGoBlue13

MGoBlue13 Grizzled Member

It's obviously more humid than phoenix..... but I'm comparing it to the midwest.