Just got rejected from a research coordinator position. Sad, confused, looking for insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DevelopmentaIsh97

Reaction score
I applied for this position about two weeks ago and was immediately contacted for an interview. In the email, the research coordinator said my experience was exactly what they were looking for. My interview went fine yesterday, very well actually, I asked questions, discussed a few articles of theirs which I read, talked about my interests and career goals, asked about the lab environment, etc. I was told they would contact me in two weeks "regarding a follow-up interview...or". Then bam. 24 hours later and I'm rejected.

All I can think of is that they were looking for someone to start sooner than I can (I graduate in May). They seemed surprised by this during the interview, even though my CV says it quite clearly.

Was there some key points that I failed to mention during my interview? I just feel really confused.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope that things go well for you. Sometimes the universe doesn't give you what you 'deserve.' Then you wake up the next day and try again.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But why do you think I was rejected? Like I just feel so confused
Sorry to hear about the rejection. It can definitely sting. It's impossible to tell you specifically without knowing exactly what the lab was seeking in a new research coordinator, but sometimes the process is out of one's hands. It could be that they found someone with even more experience than you had (and there's always someone), someone who would start sooner, someone who clicked better with the interviewers, someone who was local versus new to the area, etc., etc. The list goes on. Unfortunately, it's a competitive field, and what can make or break a candidate may come down to what amounts to a coin toss.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied for this position about two weeks ago and was immediately contacted for an interview. In the email, the research coordinator said my experience was exactly what they were looking for. My interview went fine yesterday, very well actually, I asked questions, discussed a few articles of theirs which I read, talked about my interests and career goals, asked about the lab environment, etc. I was told they would contact me in two weeks "regarding a follow-up interview...or". Then bam. 24 hours later and I'm rejected.

All I can think of is that they were looking for someone to start sooner than I can (I graduate in May). They seemed surprised by this during the interview, even though my CV says it quite clearly.

Was there some key points that I failed to mention during my interview? I just feel really confused.

So sorry to hear that you were rejected, especially after it felt like the interview went so well! In my view, it’s always okay to send a polite response to the rejection email. You can thank them for the time they took to speak with you, and ask if they have any feedback for you as you pursue additional research coordinator positions. Hopefully they’ll have something helpful you can improve upon in future interviews, or you might learn that it just came down to your availability for a start date. Either way, as long as you are gracious and polite in your email, it doesn’t hurt to ask. Good luck with your search!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Could have been the May thing. Unfortunately, not everyone likely sees the CV before a decision to interview is made. Could very well have been a case where they interviewed you knowing this was a major downside, but PI said "Well, we can wait til May if we absolutely have to but only if we don't find someone qualified who could start sooner." Could have been that there was another candidate. Could be any number of things, impossible to say without being there.

I'd also strongly advise getting used to rejection. I know it sucks, but this will be a regular part of my life moving forward. Move on and keep applying.

Reactions: 3 users
Too bad! Sounds like the start date issue certainly could have been a factor. Often the hire date for such positions is time sensitive and people just can't wait that long. It's possible the person reviewing your application didn't notice that detail, or you were offered an interview on the gamble that you might be more flexible.

The other possibility is that you were well qualified, but someone else was even more so. For whatever reason, it just didn't work out. Try not to stress about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejection is difficult, indeed. I echo everyone else above.

I'd also strongly advise getting used to rejection. I know it sucks, but this will be a regular part of my life moving forward. Move on and keep applying.

I feel like this is especially true in our field (e.g., internship, post-doc, grant apps). Engage in that self-care and continue moving on. Who knows, maybe there will be something better out there?

I think the start date was 100% the issue. Most places put a job posting that they are looking to fill more or less ASAP..unless it is highly specialized.

I.e. my roommate got a job fairly in advance lined up after graduation...as a princeton educated engineer at a place that does projects for the military.
Research coordinator frankly isnt THAT specialized where I think you can line up a job 7 months in advance like you are trying to do.

Reactions: 2 users
My guess is that it was an internal hire. That’s a pretty quick response with your rejection and you might have been just one of those filler applicants to show that they followed hiring protocols to HR and considered applicants widely. If they really wanted you since you had exact qualifications and skills, they could negotiate the start dates to be honest.

My guess is that it was an internal hire. That’s a pretty quick response with your rejection and you might have been just one of those filler applicants to show that they followed hiring protocols to HR and considered applicants widely. If they really wanted you since you had exact qualifications and skills, they could negotiate the start dates to be honest.

I second this. I’ve interviewed at places feeling like I was a perfect fit professionally and didn’t get the job, and then later found out that the employers already had someone in mind internally who wanted to advance up the ranks, so they were just going through the motions with all other applicants.

Rejection is common even when we do everything “right,” so try not to take it too personally, as much as it stings initially. There will be more opportunities out there!