Just got step 1 score- trying to plan PhD around potential specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tubeofbread

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm just about to go to PhD and was debating a bit on what type of research to focus towards depending on specialty competitiveness. I'm currently at a top research program and would preferably like to stay somewhere similar. The big thing I'm debating is how competitive I'd be for IM or derm at places like Hopkins, Harvard System, Mayo, etc.

Stats- 249 Step 1, top MD/PhD (think Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, Penn)

How competitive do you think I'd be for derm vs IM?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! It is a good score. Your research productivity will be critical to your success applying to competitive residency programs. In addition, AOA status and grades on the key IM clerkship will be important.

Here is the 2017 data on residencies:
This link shows the number of MD/PhD residents on each specialty:
Data and Analysis - AAMC

This link shows the USMLE Step scores for each specialty:
Data and Analysis - AAMC
Each specialty is selected from the list (default is Anesthesiology). Step I is on the vertical side of the table (to the left side), and Step 2 CK is on the horizontal side.

Reactions: 1 users
IM is less competitive and has well established physician-scientist tracks. So it seems like you'd be quite competitive there.

Derm is more competitive but I know nothing about their physician-scientist pathways. My advice would be to go look in their forum and consider asking there about opportunities. A 249 is a competitive score, but we're not going to know anything about how competitive that is for academic derm positions.

Also remember your medical school performance counts as well. My experience with the derm applicants in my class was that they all were going into IM or "I don't really know" until they hit fourth year and came out as derm applicants. That's a good way to hide so you can try to get AOA. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to both of you- really appreciate the advice.

Just to throw some cold water on it, not to be mean but realistic. 249 is a very good score, and certainly an asset for IM, but I think with score inflation on step 1 may be below average for derm. If you are dead set on derm, do really really well on clerkships and do a (short) but productive PhD in a derm or molecular derm/oncology (melanoma, merkel cell) lab. Check out outcomes AMA/AMCAS match study, I haven't reviewed these for a couple of years.