just got the news from UF!!! Now UF vs. Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentdent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just got the magic words of "congratulations, you have been accepted..." from UF. I know there are a bunch of comparison threads out there, but I really need some advice on this one. I am a Florida resident, currently attending UF, and now must decide between Tufts and UF. I've already lived in Gainesville for the past 4 years, and I don't know if I'll be able to live there for another 4. (gotta change up the scene a little bit) .. but the cost of tuition is a huge factor. I'll be saving loads if I stay in Florida. And Tufts has such a great reputation of being an incredible dental school.. and how they produce dentists that can practice right after they graduation. Any thoughts?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to believe that you will be able to practice immediately after graduation even if you don't go to Tufts. If I were you, I'd go to UF and save some money.

Depends on what you want. How did you feel about each program? Do you see yourself in Boston for 4 years? or Gainesville for 4 more? Even though it cost more to go to Tufts, will you be happier overall?

Ask those to yourself

Con for UF: The way the clinic is run its a bitch to get good patients. They pride themselves on the large number of teeth that students get to pull. That should tell you something! You'll be a pro at pulling teeth and not much else.

Pro for UF: Strong didatic program, so you will do well on the boards

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go to Tufts. My sister and all her friends will admit that they graduated not knowing what they're doing. You almost have to do a GPR to learn how to practice. Tufts students know what they're doing when they graduate. So work the math out and you'll find that the tuition is abou the same when you factor in saving a year going to Tufts. Also, ask anyone, there are no patients in Gainesville.

TylerDMD said:
I would go to Tufts. My sister and all her friends will admit that they graduated not knowing what they're doing. You almost have to do a GPR to learn how to practice. Tufts students know what they're doing when they graduate. So work the math out and you'll find that the tuition is abou the same when you factor in saving a year going to Tufts. Also, ask anyone, there are no patients in Gainesville.

That's a load of crap... I graduated from UF. UF patient pool could be better, but I had a better operative dentistry experience than anyone I have talked to from other dental schools. You will do enough crowns, dentures, partials etc to be proficient and will rapidly gain speed when you graduate. They teach you rotary endo, though you have to take the molar endo elective if you want to do molars as a student at UF. You also get a good oral surgery experience. If you want to specialize UF is great and a large percentage of the school specializes. The tuition is dirt cheap, you have to pay 100+K more to go to Tufts. I graduated in 2004 and have worked part-time while doing an OMFS residency. I've never had any major problems keeping the scheduled appointment times in private practice. Most of the graduates from the northeast dental I know have had weaker experiences than I did. The best hands on schools that I know graduates from are Baylor and Oklahoma. Ultimately dental school is what you make of it no matter where you go. If you treat it like a 9-5 job you will do well. If a patient no-shows, immediately call another patient and try to fill the chair, do some lab work, update you charts get missing signatures etc. I graduated for UF proficient and prepared to enter private practice.

like i say to everyone, if u can save the money, do it. all d-schools do a good job of preparing students, but no d-school graduate is at 100% when they first get out. both schools will train u to be a great dentist if u put the effort in, so save loads of $$ and go to UF

Dude,

Go to UF. I graduated last year from UF and now in OMFS residency. I know living in G-ville gets real old but it's cheap and fun. Plus, with the money you'll be saving from Tufts you can live like a King in G-ville. I know plenty of people who graduated UF and went directly into practice, and felt completley comfortable with their capabilities. In my mind, Boston is expensive, cold, and a buncha fat chicks. Florida, on the other hand: cheap, sunny, plenty of smoking hot tan chicks, and a good education.

Go to UF

dentdent said:
Hey guys,
Just got the magic words of "congratulations, you have been accepted..." from UF. I know there are a bunch of comparison threads out there, but I really need some advice on this one. I am a Florida resident, currently attending UF, and now must decide between Tufts and UF. I've already lived in Gainesville for the past 4 years, and I don't know if I'll be able to live there for another 4. (gotta change up the scene a little bit) .. but the cost of tuition is a huge factor. I'll be saving loads if I stay in Florida. And Tufts has such a great reputation of being an incredible dental school.. and how they produce dentists that can practice right after they graduation. Any thoughts?? :confused:

dentdent,

I'm a florida res, and soon to be fsu grad :)... I will be applying in the 2007 cycle and UF and Tufts are my two top choices. I believe I won't have a problem getting into tufts, but UF will be a little harder to crack...everyone from florida wants to goto UF b/c like others mentioned it's dirt cheap.. BUT, boston is AWESOME. I'm sick of the FLA scenery (or lack thereof) also, but if I had to make the decision today I would say UF. You will receive a superb education at both schools, but if you want to enjoy four more years of great sports & hotties then choose UF (however, next year FSU will own you!!). Otherwise, choose tufts.

Congrats on both schools...let us known what you decide.