just graduated from medical school this year, interested in applying for psych..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goonerman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
..residency.

i studied in an overseas medical school, and i am a us citizen. i never took my steps, because i had no intention to practice in the states. but i've recently had a change of heart, and now i'm planning to return to the states.

if i can take my step 1 within the next 6 weeks, and then apply for residency, will i still be eligible for matching in february 2012? i plan to take my usmle step 2 end of december or in january.

currently, i plan to take 6 weeks off to study for the step 1. and then get some observships as i prepare for step 2 (which i feel will be a lot easier to study for).

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a program director, but residency programs like to see US graduates complete step 1, 2cs, and 2ck before they rank you. I've heard residency programs wanting to see all 3 steps completed if you are from a med school outside the US.

Then again I'm not a program director, so maybe others know better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a program director, but residency programs like to see US graduates complete step 1, 2cs, and 2ck before they rank you. I've heard residency programs wanting to see all 3 steps completed if you are from a med school outside the US.

Then again I'm not a program director, so maybe others know better.

If I get all those results in by end of November, would it be too late to apply? I'm interested in psychiatry, and from what I know, its not as competitive as the other specialties.

Thanks for your input though.

I think November is too late to have those results in. First, no one will get an interview if they wait until November to apply (regardless of international grad or not), so you'll have to apply on the regular schedule (application done in early September ideally) and without your test results. It is expensive to apply via ERAS, and you may not get interviews without test scores.

I think it comes down to cost for the application and are you willing to eat the money if you don't get interviews. If so go for it. If not wait a year. Or wait for the scramble and you might get a spot then without having to use ERAS and the match.

I might be mistaken, but I thought IMGs had to do Step 1 and all of Step 2 before they could be EC?MG (not sure what these abbreviations are) certified, which I think was something they needed to do.

Either way, programs are going to be more worried about an IMGs ability to pass the steps, including CS, so I'd vote for having them all in before applying. You could get some USCE in the process and apply for next year.

The basics: Since your numbers will come in late, and you are likely from a school without a wide track record in the US, you are going to be seen as risky. PD's do not like risk. If you wait to November to submit an application, interview spots will likely be sewn up, especially for someone who is going to be seen as risky. So you'll need to get the interview before your numbers are back, but remember that they can interview you while numbers are pending since the residency rank list doesn't get finalized until the end of January.

Suggestions:
1. Take the step 1 asap
2. Talk to your home campus people and see where graduates have matched in the past.
3. Send in your applications with a focus on places that have some knowledge of your home institution. You can also send it where you grew up or where you'd like to live, but you'll have to sell yourself as more of an unknown commodity.
4. If possible, take some sort of elective at the most likely of those places, preferably before January and preferably in a core clinical area in which they can observe your work (like inpatient, CL, or ER). DON'T do an elective in a subject that won't test your core skills (eg, ethics, women's health, analytic reading, an "observership" if that means you aren't expected to evaluate and quickly write up patients), since your risk is in whether or not you can do the core work. Apply for the elective immediately, with a description specifically why you would love to go there.
5. Take step 2 asap as well and hope the scores come in before the end of january.
6. Oh, and do well at the steps and the elective.

Alternatively, you can take the pace easier, finish the steps over the next 6 months and prepare for the 2013 match by work and electives and really testing whether you want to come to the US and into psychiatry.

Thanks for the info above. I did have a feeling that I might be a little late for this application cycle.

Currently, I do have a job in Europe (a residency), where I am getting paid, and also getting some experience (I am in Ireland). I am thinking about giving all this up, and coming to the States to complete all my steps, and also do some electives, preferably an externship, but an observership at the very least.

I understand that I might not make the application deadline for this cycle. Do you think its worth giving up my job, and trying to get some us clinical experience under my belt?

The basics: Since your numbers will come in late, and you are likely from a school without a wide track record in the US, you are going to be seen as risky. PD's do not like risk. If you wait to November to submit an application, interview spots will likely be sewn up, especially for someone who is going to be seen as risky. So you'll need to get the interview before your numbers are back, but remember that they can interview you while numbers are pending since the residency rank list doesn't get finalized until the end of January.

Suggestions:
1. Take the step 1 asap
2. Talk to your home campus people and see where graduates have matched in the past.
3. Send in your applications with a focus on places that have some knowledge of your home institution. You can also send it where you grew up or where you'd like to live, but you'll have to sell yourself as more of an unknown commodity.
4. If possible, take some sort of elective at the most likely of those places, preferably before January and preferably in a core clinical area in which they can observe your work (like inpatient, CL, or ER). DON'T do an elective in a subject that won't test your core skills (eg, ethics, women's health, analytic reading, an "observership" if that means you aren't expected to evaluate and quickly write up patients), since your risk is in whether or not you can do the core work. Apply for the elective immediately, with a description specifically why you would love to go there.
5. Take step 2 asap as well and hope the scores come in before the end of january.
6. Oh, and do well at the steps and the elective.

Alternatively, you can take the pace easier, finish the steps over the next 6 months and prepare for the 2013 match by work and electives and really testing whether you want to come to the US and into psychiatry.

Thanks cleareyedguy. When you say 'work', what do you mean? Would it be a good idea to volunteer somewhere in a psych department (of course, if i could).

would it also be to my advantage to go into some kind of nursing program? my fear is not having anything to do for an entire year if i ultimately do feel its too late to apply for this cycle.

Thanks for the info above. I did have a feeling that I might be a little late for this application cycle.

Currently, I do have a job in Europe (a residency), where I am getting paid, and also getting some experience (I am in Ireland). I am thinking about giving all this up, and coming to the States to complete all my steps, and also do some electives, preferably an externship, but an observership at the very least.

I understand that I might not make the application deadline for this cycle. Do you think its worth giving up my job, and trying to get some us clinical experience under my belt?

If you are already in residency training, I would say that you should not stop your training in the middle as this will just raise more issues (e.g. not meeting your commitments). For a lot of programs experience in the English system will probably suffice as a substitute for US experience. While continuing your training there, you should take your USMLEs. Nobody will look at your application without at least Step 1 done and most will probably want to see Step 2 CK results before extending an invitation to you. If you can get Step 1 results back by end of September and they are very strong, you might have a chance this year at an interview but you need to get your CK results back by end of October to have a good shot at an interview. If they are back by end of November you might still have a chance.