just graduated from medical school this year, interested in applying for psych..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goonerman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
..residency.

i studied in an overseas medical school, and i am a us citizen. i never took my steps, because i had no intention to practice in the states. but i've recently had a change of heart, and now i'm planning to return to the states.

if i can take my step 1 within the next 6 weeks, and then apply for residency, will i still be eligible for matching in february 2012? i plan to take my usmle step 2 end of december or in january.

currently, i plan to take 6 weeks off to study for the step 1. and then get some observships as i prepare for step 2 (which i feel will be a lot easier to study for).

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

..residency.

i studied in an overseas medical school, and i am a us citizen. i never took my steps, because i had no intention to practice in the states. but i've recently had a change of heart, and now i'm planning to return to the states.

if i can take my step 1 within the next 6 weeks, and then apply for residency, will i still be eligible for matching in february 2012? i plan to take my usmle step 2 end of december or in january.

currently, i plan to take 6 weeks off to study for the step 1. and then get some observships as i prepare for step 2 (which i feel will be a lot easier to study for).

thanks in advance!

I believe sending in residency applications opens up September 1st each year for the following year's match. So if you apply this September you will be applying for the 2012 match. As an IMG I've heard it is best to get your entire application sent in September 1st which includes your step 1, 2 ck and cs scores so you can get interview invites withing the next couple of months. I think taking step 2 that late will hinder your chances of getting interviews because your application will be incomplete and by that time interview invites will be handed out.

People that have gone though this process or know more about it can correct me if I'm wrong.