Just graduated, thinking of taking additional coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quarterhorsecol

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated, my gpa is just below 3.5. Taking the MCAT in august. I'm considering taking some classes in the fall/spring before applying to med school because a) there are some good classes that I want to take but didnt have time and b) it should bump my gpa a bit.
Money aside, do you think this would be wise? I'm thinking doing well in immunology, pathology, medicinal chemistry, cadaver lab, and some random other non-science classes would show demonstrate my ability to handle tough courses and a desire to learn, but at the same time it could come off as an obvious attempt to inflate my gpa.

any thoughts?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No; additional coursework, especially that which pertains to medical school-type course work, is only a plus on your application. If you can show that you can handle these higher level courses and makeup for past lower grades, assuming you continue to do well and get A's, then it will help. Now if you go and do poorly, it will do the exact opposite.

I say take additional courses. Schools know it is an attempt to inflate the gpa, but it also shows you're committed to the process.