Just graduated UG, am a nontrad noob. How to start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbdjbdjbd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I'm seriously considering a career change at the ripe old age of 23. I will be a summer B.A. lib arts grad. Changed mind about what I wanted to do, now I want to join my father in medicine.

I take it that it is too late to apply to post-bac programs for fall 2009 start. So should I start volunteering at a hospital to show interest in medicine? My dad is a GP; would working for him be the same, or do post-bac programs, and later on, medical schools, want to see research experience in some bio lab? (Obvs it'd be easier to arrange.)

I don't know the mores and norms on this forum so please don't yell at me too much to start!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody!

I'm seriously considering a career change at the ripe old age of 23. I will be a summer B.A. lib arts grad. Changed mind about what I wanted to do, now I want to join my father in medicine.

I take it that it is too late to apply to post-bac programs for fall 2009 start. So should I start volunteering at a hospital to show interest in medicine? My dad is a GP; would working for him be the same, or do post-bac programs, and later on, medical schools, want to see research experience in some bio lab? (Obvs it'd be easier to arrange.)

I don't know the mores and norms on this forum so please don't yell at me too much to start!

Sorry. Sunday morning. I'm only 1 cup into my pot of coffee. Maybe I yell at you after lunch.

Sounds like you're getting you bearings well ordered. You could definitely volunteer and work until you figure out where you're going to get your prereqs done. Try to get them done at a 4 yr. school.

Working for your pops is cool. except for one thing. that type of activity is better when you can scoop up a letter of rec. from your bosses. you're dad would be disqualified from this. start with him. see if he has a colleague that would take you on.

as far as scientology goes and becoming one of it's low level hands. do it if you want to make it part of your career path. Or perhaps even for just the exposure of your natural curiosities. some sincerity at least. doing for the sake of a future application will make it mundane in appearance and in execution. try to do this thing with a little bit of your own mojo kickin. in the end your piece of paper with it's $100 check will sit in a stack of 9000 or so. imagine you're the person reading them.

I think you can still get into some post-bac programs for the fall, it's not that late. Check out all the nearby 4-years.

If I were you, I'd try to balance 20-hr/wk post-bac studies w/ 20-hr/wk work as a CNA or EMT. Those will give you great medical experience, and EMT in particular may also give you time to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no need to do the prereqs in a formal postbac program.
Go to the continuing education office at a local 4 year school.
They should be able to hook you up.
The only problem may come with the classes you need being full.
As long as you are flexible, you should be able to get the classes you need.

If you have never taken science classes, don't assume that you can take and do well in 3 science classes + labs in your first semester. Maybe you can, maybe you can't, but if it turns out to be the latter you will sink your chances of getting into med school.
Start with 1-2 classes and make sure you get A's, no matter how much time it requires. If you can handle that no problem, then think about increasing the workload. Don't be in a rush, just do it right.

One caveat with being a continuing education/continuing student (whatever your school calls it): sometimes you get shafted as far as registration priority. Even freshmen can register before you when you are a continuing studies/non-degree seeking student.

The easy fix is to officially seek a second degree, like a BS or BA in Biology/Chemistry/Physics, and you usually will have the academic status of however many hours you have completed. This is what I did/am doing, and the only people that have priority for registration over me are student athletes as far as I know (used to be one, and I coach now), but for registration purposes I'm a senior with the number of hours I've completed, due to already having a bachelor's degree.