Just graduated with a Bachelor's, plan to transition to Nursing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nostalgic

[Post-Grad]
Reaction score
I just graduated in December with a Bachelors in Biomedical Laboratory Science. I am currently a month and a half into a 6 month Medical Lab Science "internship" to train, with the outcome being taking the ACLS board exam at the end of the internship (currently rotating through the medical lab: chemistry, hematology, microbio, and blood bank being the major sections.)

My cGPA at completion of undergrad was 3.22, I have yet to calculate my sGPA but it's going to be lower than my core (but still >3.0 I think).

I am having second thoughts about wanting to be an MLS. I really want to have direct patient contact and work in the main hospital, versus the lab, which has really been machine maintenance and some technical work, but with minimal patient interaction thus far. To be honest, some of the MLS work doesn't interest me either... I knew all this going in, but didn't truly know what to expect until I was in this position.

Given my circumstances (can provide more information if needed), how should I go about trying to transition to becoming an RN? I was looking at programs in my state but I don't really know where to start. I would be aiming for a BSN, correct? Does my degree in MLS already knock out some classes I would take on the nursing route (maybe I can find an accelerated program or something?). Is it too late to try go this route?

Members don't see this ad.

It is never too late. I graduated my undergrad in Kinesiology, then went to DPT school for 1 semester, then dropped out because I did not like it. I will start the Accelerated BSN program for 14 months, starting this May and will become RN next August. Considering your major in MLS, im pretty sure you got most of the prerequisites done for nursing programs. You should look out for Accelerated BSN available in your state and you can become an RN in a year.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you mind sharing what ABSN program this is? I’m having a hard time finding program that start in May. Most start in August and I don’t want to waste the entire summer to start in August!
Chances are nobody is starting anything in any field in May unless they can do 100% online classes. A lot of programs of various types are looking at having to cancel entire semesters because students aren't being allowed in hospitals, and university campuses are closed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind sharing what ABSN program this is? I’m having a hard time finding program that start in May. Most start in August and I don’t want to waste the entire summer to start in August!
My program does actually start in Jun 1st. It is Texas A&M Corpus Christi. However, the due date for application has already passed in Feb. Good thing is clinicals will not begin until 2nd semester, which is in August, so I can have all this summer classes online.

Chances are nobody is starting anything in any field in May unless they can do 100% online classes. A lot of programs of various types are looking at having to cancel entire semesters because students aren't being allowed in hospitals, and university campuses are closed.
Hello jwk, I see that you are an AA. Can I ask how would you like AA over CRNA because right now CRNA is my goal, but AA seems to be a shorter path for me since I have already got my bachelor degree ?

Hello jwk, I see that you are an AA. Can I ask how would you like AA over CRNA because right now CRNA is my goal, but AA seems to be a shorter path for me since I have already got my bachelor degree ?
Definitely a shorter path by at least a couple years in your case. The jobs and compensation are identical in any group that employs CAAs and CRNAs. The primary differences are the geographic limitations and the ability of the CRNA to work independent of an anesthesiologist. But in major hospitals doing major surgery, there will always be anesthesiologists. So if you're already in a CAA-friendly state, or willing to work there, CAA is certainly a viable option.