Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Just Graduated with a BS but need to raise my sGPA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by MyFuture2Be, Aug 12, 2015.

1. MyFuture2Be

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hello Everyone,
    I just signed up for this sdn forum and I've been reading many people's conversations about how to raise ones GPA in order to apply for medical school but i still am so lost on what i should do after days of research on here.
    I just graduated this May with a cumulative GPA of 3.282, During my time at the University i took sciences classes but do to me being immature and not taking school seriously my sophomore and beginning of junior year I unfortunately got some bad grades in sciences classes:
    Biology II: C (Lab: A)
    Chemistry I: C
    Chemistry II: D (retook and got a C)
    Physiology I: D
    Physiology II:: D
    Organic Chem I: F (Lab: A)
    Organic Chem Lab II: B

I also took Biology I and Physics I at a community college and i got a B (biology) and an A(physics)

I know how horrible this looks trust me and Im so mad at myself for not trying. So now i am looking for someone anyone to help me understand what i can do next and if there is anything i can do so i might have a chance in applying for Osteopathic medical school. Ive seen a lot of talk about post-bacc but even after extensive research on that I'm still confused.c All advice will be appreciated!!

2. spenguin

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I would do a post-bacc,
    Do some research on sdn, I believe there is a separate section for post baccs

You have too many bad grades to just retake classes (imho).
    What is your sGPA and MCAT? Have you taken upper level science classes, how did you do on those?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. IDK22

2+ Year Member

Retake all of those classes. That's what the retake policy is for if you are set on DO programs- to show that you have better study habits today than you did back then. Of course they will still see those grades, but if you do well enough in your retakes (almost all As) then its your overall GPA that will matter to schools. Take some new science courses while you're at it and do well in those too, especially an upper division or two. I accomplished 8 retakes + 6 new science classes over the course of 1 year (2 summers) and bumped my gpa up by 0.5.

4. MyFuture2Be

How should i retake them? I went to school 2 hours away from my parents home, Im back

Thank you so much for replying!!
    So i went to a university that was 2 hours away from my parents house, am now back at home can i retake these science class at a university closer to where i am now? Would i just apply to the university closer to home and just take the science classes?

5. MyFuture2Be

Thankyou for replying!
    I haven't taken the MCAT yet and don't want to until i have my GPA situated. and I don't know what my sGPA is I'm trying to figure out how to calculate it..

6. spenguin

2+ Year Member

The thing is MCAT and GPA tie together. If your MCAT is lower than you would need to spend more time fixing the GPA. If the MCAT is higher than you wouldn't need to raise your GPA as much (but you still would need to raise it some)

TLDR:
    So good MCAT = spend less (but still some) time on gpa
    bad MCAT = spend tons of time, make gpa as high as possible

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Cardboard101

Cardboard101 Wait, I got in?
    2+ Year Member

Retake at 4 year college if possible. Retake at community college if not. Don't just retake those classes one at a time, do multiple. Show admissions that you can handle a heavy courseload.

On the flip side, that gpa coupled with a decent mcat should garner a few interviews at DO schools. Would you have a shot at any in state MD schools?

8. MyFuture2Be

If i retake at a 4 year college I can just take the classes without actually getting another bachelors correct? would it look bad or would i have less of a chance if i did community college? because that could save me money. i tend to take more than one at a time maybe three at a time?
    I live inArizona, UofA has a great md school but i feel that with my current transcript i would not get in, and retaking doesn't look very good for md right?

Thank you for replying!! Im feeling more hopeful now!

9. 0dee

0dee SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't feel discouraged, it takes time and perseverance to get into medical school. First step is to calculate both your GPA and sGPA using this excel spreadsheet that was uploaded by a SDN member a while ago. Then, just like everyone said start retaking all the classes that you got a C or lower. It doesn't matter if you retake it at a 4 year university or community college as long as you ace them with A's. Then prepare yourself for the next big step and ace the MCAT to increase your chances of an acceptance somewhere. For now DO schools are more likely the better option, but if you ace those retakes and get a HIGH MCAT score then and only then you can start thinking about MD schools. Also, start volunteering at a local hospital and shadow a doctor to gain some EC's. I can tell you one thing, take it one step at a time.

Attached Files:

10. normapuglie

Pre-Dental
    Thank you for replying!! Im feeling more hopeful now![​IMG]

11. MyFuture2Be

I had no idea that i could take them at community college and it would be okay, will i look less competitive ? do you recommend and lean more towards doing it at a 4year college?

12. OrdinaryDO

OrdinaryDO Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Highly doubt it. With the grades he has shared in the sciences, I don't think a single DO or MD school would give him a second look right now.

Few things to mention here; No, you don't need to obtain another bachelors degree to take extra classes, you should retake all of those classes at a 4 year institute because it will look like you can't handle the course work at a University so you decided to take the easy way out. Secondly, the UofA medical school is not so great, believe me. This school has a bias towards in-state students and it considered a third-tier school (I am senior at the U of A so we hear all about our in-state college). The U of A in Fayetteville is a feeder college into UAMS so the odds are slim, especially with your stats and the fact that MD schools only average your retakes instead of doing grade replacement.

I would say that you have absolutely no chance with that transcript right now, but with just a semester or two you could change that around and be an amazing candidate for DO schools. Maybe even MD schools if you have a nice MCAT and great ECs to go along with a good GPA.

MyFuture2Be likes this.
  13. IDK22

2+ Year Member

I would argue that you can most definitely take it at a CC because it will be much, much cheaper if you're applying to DO programs. If you're set on MD then definitely do a post-bac at 4-year because they will only average your grades vs. DO schools which will replace the old grades entirely. Like @Goro has said, its more important that you DO WELL than where you retake the courses. Also, try and tag on some ECs while you're at it so it will look as though you can handle a heavy load. Upward trend is what you want to show.

Goro likes this.
  14. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    1) Retake all F/D/C science courses and ace them.
    2) Apply to DO schools

So now i am looking for someone anyone to help me understand what i can do next and if there is anything i can do so i might have a chance in applying for Osteopathic medical school. Ive seen a lot of talk about post-bacc but even after extensive research on that I'm still confused.c All advice will be appreciated!![/QUOTE]

oOKawaiiOo and Supernatural17 like this.
  15. 0dee

0dee SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes, you can retake them at a community college, just make sure that those classes are of equivalent or higher credit units. As far as retakes at CC vs. University, there are tons of threads on SDN covering this issue and different people will tell you different things. The most important thing is not where you take it but what grade you get after the retake. I chose to retake them at a CC to save money, if you can afford to take classes at ASU, UofA, or NAU then go for it.