Just graduated with Econ degree, want to go to Dental School

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by AK925, May 15, 2008.

1. AK925

Pre-Dental
    I am new to the forums and would like some advice. I just graduated from UC Davis, majored in Economics and have a 2.85 GPA. I started looking into some jobs but I want to change my career path and go to Dental school. I have not taken any science courses. I was looking around at some post bac programs but I don't know which ones I can get into. I have no real preference about cost or location. I do not come from an disadvantaged background as well. I want a program where I can be a full time student and get the requirements done ASAP. Anyone have any advice or have been in a similar situation as me. Any assistance will help. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lokhtar

Lokhtar Dreaming about the lions

Medical Student
    Find a place where you can get a 4.0 and start going to town for a couple years. From a 2.85, it'll take a while, but the most important thing is to get all As, or as close to that as possible. It doesn't have to be an official post bac - any school which offers courses.

You may want to enroll in a university which welcomes second degree students (such as UNC Greensboro) and maybe actually get a second degree (it may take about 2-2.5 years assuming you can transfer a lot of the general courses). You didn't earn a 2.85 in a year, and you're not crawling out of it in a year - so you just have to be prepared for the long haul.