Just graduated with Econ degree, want to go to Dental School

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by AK925, May 15, 2008.

1. AK925

Pre-Dental
    I am new to the forums and would like some advice. I just graduated from UC Davis, majored in Economics and have a 2.85 GPA. I started looking into some jobs but I want to change my career path and go to Dental school. I have not taken any science courses. I was looking around at some post bac programs but I don't know which ones I can get into. I have no real preference about cost or location. I do not come from an disadvantaged background as well. I want a program where I can be a full time student and get the requirements done ASAP. Anyone have any advice or have been in a similar situation as me. Any assistance will help. Thanks.

2. Lokhtar

Lokhtar Dreaming about the lions
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Find a place where you can get a 4.0 and start going to town for a couple years. From a 2.85, it'll take a while, but the most important thing is to get all As, or as close to that as possible. It doesn't have to be an official post bac - any school which offers courses.

You may want to enroll in a university which welcomes second degree students (such as UNC Greensboro) and maybe actually get a second degree (it may take about 2-2.5 years assuming you can transfer a lot of the general courses). You didn't earn a 2.85 in a year, and you're not crawling out of it in a year - so you just have to be prepared for the long haul.