Just how much does Waterloo care about research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordaanlh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going into my 3rd year of undergrad and will be applying to Waterloo the following year. I'm kind of in a dilemma right now and was wondering if anyone could provide some input?

So my GPA isn't very high (currently ~3.5, but apparently ~80% if I convert from my school's grading system into percentages) and I don't anticipate it becoming significantly higher within the next year and a half (maybe a 3.7 MAX by the time I apply). I was thinking of taking a Neuroscience lab course that would open up many paths to conducting research with different profs in the future (I'd have the opportunity to work in Visual Neuroscience and Perception labs), but I'm torn between this and taking courses that I am certain of doing much better in since my GPA really does need the boost.

Just an idea of what I am/will be involved in for my remaining two years of uni:
• Completing a year long lab study in a Pedagogy/Cognition lab, and possibly thesis in my 4th year
• Working with another prof in a Clinical Epidemiology/Pedagogy lab throughout the year
• Working as a Psych/Neuroscience TA from Sept 2014 to April 2015, and possibly the following school year
• EC's include:
• Exec on CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind) club
• Exec on Body Image/Social Issues club
• I will have shadowed an OD for ~100 hours by this September
• Will be writing my OAT this August

Is this enough to make me a competitive applicant for Waterloo (assuming I do well on my OATs, ~370 and up)? Anything that I'm missing, or any suggestions? Will Waterloo really care if I've worked in more professors' labs/had a lot more research experience? I'm not sure if the sacrifice in GPA will be worth it if, in the end, it makes no significant difference to them. And I know every percent will matter.

I'd really appreciate any input, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You definitely have much more EC/Volunteer activity than I do when I got accepted. I did have research around 2 years experience and a thesis during my last undergrad year. I would say focus on your GPA and OAT. I had a GPA of ~3.8+ and a 370 TS/AA on my OAT besides, the application only gives you so many spaces to fill in your EC (I believe you can only describe/list 3) so budget your efforts wisely!

Good luck!

Hey, thank you for the reply! I'll definitely focus on improving my GPA then.