Just how much of ORGO II does MCAT test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albaniandoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just finishing Orgo I this semester and want to take the MCAT in April. I am missing Physics II and Orgo II from my pre-reqs.
I can only take one class in the spring so I want to find out if I am better off taking Physics II or Orgo II.
I know in the EK CD it says that the MCAT tests basic Orgo knowledge mostly semester I, but how much of Orgo II does show up on the MCAT ?
Does anyone know for sure ?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it would vary from test to test. If you haven't had either I think it would end up hurting you some. If you do well enough in the other subsections you might have a fine overally score. You might want to consider which you can self-teach the easiest and take the other one as a course.

Don't memorize tons of the mechanisms that are emphasized in OrgoII. Just understand and know the basics, like identifying nucleophiles/electrophiles in a mechanism they give you, inductive effects, resonance stabilization, increased acidity/basicity by adding halides, etc...

There was a short passage on Grignard Reagents on my August MCAT. But it was pretty easy if you followed the mechanism that was given. Also a passage on amino acid synthesis which was basically testing you on whether you knew the nitrogen was the attacking nucleophile on the carbonyl carbon of a carboxylic acid.

SensesFail said:
Don't memorize tons of the mechanisms that are emphasized in OrgoII. Just understand and know the basics, like identifying nucleophiles/electrophiles in a mechanism they give you, inductive effects, resonance stabilization, increased acidity/basicity by adding halides, etc...

There was a short passage on Grignard Reagents on my August MCAT. But it was pretty easy if you followed the mechanism that was given. Also a passage on amino acid synthesis which was basically testing you on whether you knew the nitrogen was the attacking nucleophile on the carbonyl carbon of a carboxylic acid.
I agree with this, but to add my 2¢: a lot of the orgo on the MCAT is carboxylics/carbonyls/carboxylic derivatives. The basic idea is pretty simple in all of those - the reactions will follow that nucleophilic attack profile, whether about ketones, sugars or proteins.
Between Orgo and Physics, I would take physics. Much more of the MCAT will be about waves, electromagnetism, light and optics, etc., than about organic chemistry. During your MCAT preparation spend a little more time studying carbonyls, etc., than you might otherwise. But if you can only take one take physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
desiredusername said:
I agree with this, but to add my 2¢: a lot of the orgo on the MCAT is carboxylics/carbonyls/carboxylic derivatives. The basic idea is pretty simple in all of those - the reactions will follow that nucleophilic attack profile, whether about ketones, sugars or proteins.
Between Orgo and Physics, I would take physics. Much more of the MCAT will be about waves, electromagnetism, light and optics, etc., than about organic chemistry. During your MCAT preparation spend a little more time studying carbonyls, etc., than you might otherwise. But if you can only take one take physics.

I would agree with this. Orgo I gives you the fundamentals - basic reaction mechanisms, etc. Problem is - you might see a discrete question that's straight out of Orgo I, but any orgo passage you get is probably going to be Orgo II - because that's where you learn some practical applications of the concepts you learned in Orgo I. The MCAT seems to love ketones and aldehydes and alpha/beta carbon reactions. It's a calculated risk to not have Orgo II - the MCAT, I believe, is putting more emphasis on biology over orgo - and I've known MCATers who really downplayed Orgo. But, unless you're a true master of biology, why throw the Orgo points away? And, due to the luck of the draw on your MCAT forms, you always run the risk of getting a higher-than-typical number of Orgo passages.

On the other hand, Physics II is crucial to the MCAT. You spend a lot of time learning kinematics in Physics I but probably won't see that much of it on the MCAT. What you *will* see is optics, fluid behavior, waves, and electromagnestism - all of which relate to real concepts in medicine - and all of which are usually Physics II topics.

You can try to learn either subject on your own. Optics, for instance, is pretty easy once you understand it. If you were good in Orgo I, I would recommend Examkrackers Orgo book and learn the key Orgo II reactions (which begin in Chapter 3 - Chapters 1 & 2 are Orgo I). It's really a tough call because I personally think you really need Orgo II and Physics II - but if I had to make a decision (and it sounds like you do have to make a decision), I'd take Physics II but I would not neglect my self-study of Orgo II - it's important.

(In case you're wondering, I got a 32R in April. If you heard anything about the April exam, you'll know how very glad I was that I'd had Physics II - although Orgo II came in very handy on my form also... )

Hi thanks to all for the input.
I think I will go with Physics II. I am doing extremely well in Orgo I (91 and 99 in the first two exams) and really understanding the material. I have looked over the EK Orgo and I think I can learn chapter 3 and 4 on my own. If worst comes to worst I will take Orgo II over the summer and try the MCAT again in August. I just want to have a head start with the applications and interviews.
Thanks