Just how "urban" is Western U/COMP in Pomona?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanook

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking at possibly applying to Western U this coming year. Just how urban is it? I've never been there, and I'm interested in whether it is in a city-like setting, or more suburban?

Being near LA, it looks like it could be a pretty crowded, high cost of living area. Any input from folks who are there or have been to visit?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the actual location of the school, but I have spent some time in Pomona. It is for the most part suburban. As most of LA is. That side of LA is relativly nice. I would feel safe walking the streets there if that is what your wondering.

Pomona is not urban at all. It is best described as a somewhat distant suburb of LA. It does seem to have some of the problems that some urban areas have (ie crime, lower income areas). The campus at COMP is not in the nicest part of Pomona, either, but there is a lot of security on campus. Word is that the area is not very safe to be out in at night.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not originally from these parts or the LA area for that matter, but I can tell you that Pomona is really not as bad as people make it out to be. Yes, I won't recommend walking around these area at night, but anywhere you go you still have to watch your back!

The medical school has security guards everwhere so its very safe during the daytime. Nights are also very safe b/c there are guards on campus till 11pm. I am not too familiar with the terms urban or suburban b/c I am originally from the islands so I can't answer that question. If I am not mistaken, its a suburban area.

Cost of living is not bad at all around these areas, so you wouldn't have a problem finding a nice affordable apartment. Don't worry too much about WesternU's location...you are just here for only two years & off to rotations. Good luck!!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 03-03-2000).]

Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify, here in Alaska, "urban" means "has roads"! :)

Sounds funny, but its true. Seriously, though, I will probably try to visit the area this summer. That way I can get an idea of how much traffic I'll be wading through, how safe I'll feel leaving my wife and daughter at home, etc.

Thanks for the tips.

I think it's safe to assume that most, if not all, osteopathic schools are in the boonies.
wink.gif

Tim of New York City.
(Shields up, Captain?)

Hey now turtle, I think you should stick to expressing your fondness for math and physics..derive the quadratic equation from the equation for a straight line (even schools in the boonies teach that at some point!)
biggrin.gif