Just Joined - Want to say hi!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwistinD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been on and off this site for roughly 5-6 years now, but I finally caved and joined - which probably just reflects the fact that I will be applying for the MD route soon (2013) and am looking for some support!

I'm a non-traditional because I decided to do an MA in Bioethics after graduating from undergrad, and now I will be working for 2 years in a hospital doing research on patient safety (and saving $$$ that I dont have in order to apply!). I took a Bioethics course while I was studying in Europe and it sparked so much interest in me that I could not help but pursue a grad degree in the field. My program was amazing. I got to write a thesis on ethical situations in clinical neurosurgery, I got to go to Amsterdam to study public health ethics, I shadowed almost every type of medical specialty at every hospital in the area, and really discovered the type of physician I want to become - both in terms of specialty and character.

Unfortunately my undergrad Neuroscience GPA is a bit low (3.2), and I have yet to take the MCAT, but I'm optimistic (and I promise my posts will be as well). I come from a reputable school, have a unique variety of ECs, an upward trend in my GPA, some really great experiences, lots of volunteering and shadowing, and a thriving passion to become a physician. And I'm going to kill that MCAT (who's with me??!).

Just wanted to say hi and good luck to us all! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to my party...

Ok, fine... Welcome to OUR party.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Blame Siri if the spelling or grammar are bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I gave you :thumbup: is some other threads, but I guess I will go ahead and say, "Hi!" too.:p

Hello! I'm pretty new here as well :) It's funny that you posted this today because just this morning I was thinking about the feminist bioethics class I took in undergrad, which I loved, but what frustrated me at times was feeling like there was never a suitable answer. I wonder if you've ever felt like that? I would love to chat about your experiences one day! What specialty are you thinking about? Best of luck with your new journey.

Thanks everyone!!

ontheroadagain, oh yes, that's the problem with philosophy in general isn't it? Never a right or wrong answer... but I loved that about bioethics - there was always something more to analyze and consider. Applying that aspect of the humanities to the clinic really opens up the doctor-patient relationship in my opinion! I'm really into neuro (my bachelor was in neuroscience and my concentration in bioethics was clinical neuroethics), but more specifically, neurosurgery. I absolutely love the specialty and thankfully have had a lot of experience seeing what it truly entails. PM me anytime!

Welcome aboard. We're glad to have ya. You won't find a better supporting cast :D.
I'm applying next year too. I think we will talk a lot, and become excellent virtual friends :D
Welcome to the party :thumbup:

welcome to SDN. Tons of great info here