Just looking ahead...and not enthusiastic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CWWinning

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still in the basic science years of med school, but is this what I have to look forward to with the ERAS? Lots of small, trivial occurrences being spin-doctored into research, volunteer, or work "experiences."

The research experience averages on charting outcomes seem inflated. I mean if someone participated for one hour one day handing out surveys to patients, are people counting that as a "research experience?" What if someone made a couple of phone calls one afternoon to recruit patients for a smoking cessation study..."research experience?"

Maybe I'm missing something, after all I'm still in the basic science years, but a lot of this seems like fluff and I'd think PD's would see right through it...or at least hold you up to the Gold Standard and run your name through PubMed.

Members don't see this ad.

its a stupid game and unfortunately few people actually appreciate those who cut through the bull**** so don't risk your career by being honest

I'm still in the basic science years of med school, but is this what I have to look forward to with the ERAS? Lots of small, trivial occurrences being spin-doctored into research, volunteer, or work "experiences."

The research experience averages on charting outcomes seem inflated. I mean if someone participated for one hour one day handing out surveys to patients, are people counting that as a "research experience?" What if someone made a couple of phone calls one afternoon to recruit patients for a smoking cessation study..."research experience?"

Maybe I'm missing something, after all I'm still in the basic science years, but a lot of this seems like fluff and I'd think PD's would see right through it...or at least hold you up to the Gold Standard and run your name through PubMed.

They easily can see through the fluff. Do what you're interested in and don't worry about the charting outcomes stuff.

Yes you have to sell yourself on your app but don't BS and definitely don't lie

you're not counting the fact that some med students did one or more years of full time research before med school (like me) and got some serious pubs in major journals out of it, and a few more who are md/phd students who dedicate 4+ years full time to research efforts, and yet a few more who do one of those formal research years (NIH, Doris Duke, etc.). For the year out programs, most people do it between M3-M4, which is probably not enough time to get it published (the research cycle takes years), but it's definitely a significant experience.

not all research is 'fluff' - although I'm sure there are quite a few people who will count the BS stuff you are talking about as research experience, but I think the majority really mean it.

And I'm not going to play this game. There are certain areas I'm very deficient in, but I'm not going to jack them up just cuz. I used to play that game when I was an obnoxious gunner in an earlier life, and I'm done. If it means I don't get a top 50 residency, boo hoo.

its a stupid game and unfortunately few people actually appreciate those who cut through the bull**** so don't risk your career by being honest

That is up there amongst worst advice ever! Yes, some people are useless and haven't really done anything for the research. They will be asked about it and then it will be obvious. In other cases, one research project ends up as a poster, an oral presentation and an article (or two). That one projects is now on your CV like 3-4 times, but it's not fluff.

That is up there amongst worst advice ever! Yes, some people are useless and haven't really done anything for the research. They will be asked about it and then it will be obvious. In other cases, one research project ends up as a poster, an oral presentation and an article (or two). That one projects is now on your CV like 3-4 times, but it's not fluff.

i dont think you understood what i was saying at all.