Just looking for feedback. Bad App Cycle. Strong MCAT (35) Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spikebd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied late, AMCAS submitted August 28. I applied to 5 DO schools too. 4 Interviews at DO schools and I have been on two but think a rejection from the first school I interviewed at is coming shortly.

I'm getting worried that I won't get an acceptance this cycle because my remaining interviews are this Thursday and another on March 7th. I feel these late interviews are for spots on a waitlist that won't move.

My motive for making this thread is to update people who may be in a similar situation and to get advice on how to proceed this cycle and next. Just upset over no MD interview invites, but I understand because my GPA is 3.21. How would you guys proceed?

AMCAS GPA 3.21, sGPA 3.33.
AACOMAS GPA 3.27, sGPA 3.60
35M MCAT one my first try.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied late, AMCAS submitted August 28. I applied to 5 DO schools too. 4 Interviews at DO schools and I have been on two but think a rejection from the first school I interviewed at is coming shortly.

I'm getting worried that I won't get an acceptance this cycle because my remaining interviews are this Thursday and another on March 7th. I feel these late interviews are for spots on a waitlist that won't move.

My motive for making this thread is to update people who may be in a similar situation and to get advice on how to proceed this cycle and next. Just upset over no MD interview invites, but I understand because my GPA is 3.21. How would you guys proceed?

With that MCAT I'd expect some lower tier MDs would be interested. How many did you apply too? Did you apply to your state schools? I'd say the DO schools should be happy to have you as long as there are no deal breakers in your app.

I applied to 18 MD schools. My state school (UWash) rejected me right off the bat. I came to WA state for college and stayed after graduation and became a resident that way. Maybe they thought less of me for doing that, but likely it is my real low GPA. I'm still waiting on schools like RFU, Wake Forest, Creighton, and Loyola Chicago but don't expect an invite this late in the season. In retrospect I think I should have applied more DO and added schools like Albany, Rush, Drexel, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see no chances at MD schools, even the low tier ones. You're fine for DO.

your MCAT is excellent, but your GPA (especially cGPA) is quite low. sGPA of a 3.33 should be acceptable with your MCAT, but most schools place more emphasis on the cGPA, and a 3.2 is very low.

however, your biggest error is that late august submission date. if you have to apply again, submit it early june

You have gotten four interviews. Don't think about interviewing for the waitlist or think any less of yourself because you are interviewing late in the cycle. You applied late and, therefore, you are interviewing late but these schools are still very interested in your application. Focus on these interviews coming up and try to kill them.

August 3.27/3.60/35 for DO is excellent. If you don't get in, it's not because of stats.

Definitely apply early and maybe rework your PS or other aspects of your app if you plan to reapply. Those stats should get you at least some interviews from low tier MD schools...nice MCAT

I see no chances at MD schools, even the low tier ones. You're fine for DO.

Idk I think OP can get in with those stats and an earlier application.

People are getting into DO w/ a lot lower stats than OP's stats....There must be something 'fishy' with OP's application or may be OP should sharpen his/her interview skill.

your MCAT is excellent, but your GPA (especially cGPA) is quite low. sGPA of a 3.33 should be acceptable with your MCAT, but most schools place more emphasis on the cGPA, and a 3.2 is very low.

however, your biggest error is that late august submission date. if you have to apply again, submit it early june

Really! The SDN community does not share that judgment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it does, actually. Small improvements in GPA often are more meaningful than small improvements in MCAT score, from an applied/accepted ratio perspective.

I believe he was referencing the relative importance of cGPA vs sGPA. I was also under the impression that sGPA was marginally more important.

People are getting into DO w/ a lot lower stats than OP's stats....There must be something 'fishy' with OP's application or may be OP should sharpen his/her interview skill.

I know I could probably interview better, but unless my LOR's aren't strong or something I don't think my app should sound fishy to schools. Anyway, I still have two more interviews so I have to make them count. I was letdown by the MD schools, though.

Well I just got accepted to med school (DO) today. Makes it all less stressful! Too bad my MCAT didn't pass that 36 threshold.

Congrats OP!

I know I could probably interview better, but unless my LOR's aren't strong or something I don't think my app should sound fishy to schools. Anyway, I still have two more interviews so I have to make them count. I was letdown by the MD schools, though.

You still have some interviews coming up? Are they MD or DO? Why do you think that you could "interview better"? What do you think you're doing wrong?

also, what are you doing/saying to help them look past your GPA???

Congrats on your recent DO acceptance.

You still have some interviews coming up? Are they MD or DO? Why do you think that you could "interview better"? What do you think you're doing wrong?

also, what are you doing/saying to help them look past your GPA???

Congrats on your recent DO acceptance.

I have one DO interview left (AZCOM) but I'm not sure if I will attend because I'm pretty sure that I prefer DMU over AZCOM. During my first interview I was too nervous and came off as lacking confidence imo. I really think I found my sales pitch for the last two that I went on (got an acceptance out of the 2nd interview).

My low GPA is from business classes from my first major. I took a post-bac and got A's in all my Bio and Physics classes and B's in Ochem. That's what I need the schools to realize, I am a good scientist I just needed to grow up and dedicate myself to schoolwork.