Just looking for some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChellaBeats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys think my chances are and also looking for some feedback. So I graduated last year from Purdue University with a degree in exercise science and am currently back in school finishing up my pre-med requirements. My GPA was a 2.4 and I know that most of the people on here are going to question why I'm even considering trying to get into med school. My GPA was so low due to being a varsity athlete during my undergrad as well as having 4 surgeries over the 5 years that I was there. Each surgery left me with a recovery period of 4 to 6 months which makes maintaining a decent GPA a little hard. As much I as I wanted to quit the sport I loved and transfer schools to start over.... I convinced myself to finish what I started. I am now back in school at Ohio State and am almost done with my first year of biology and general chemistry. I got a 4.0 last quarter and am on track to get a 4.0 again this quarter. I've already taken anatomy/physiology, medical terminology, and pathophysiology during my undergrad and received all A's in them as well. I still need to take O chem, physics and will select a few other upper level biology courses. I will also be taking the MCAT as soon as I'm done with O chem and physics. I know that a lot of you are going to ask if I can even handle the coursework of med school and the answer is YES. Now that I am healthy and am able to focus on school, the pre-med courses are proving to be fairly easy. On top of classes I am working full time. I currently have a full year of paid clinical work at a private practice, am a certified x-ray tech, regularly shadow doctors of various specialties (some of which even teach at the med schools I am looking at), have volunteered at 5k runs benefitting cancer as well as sports camps for kids, and have logged over 200 hours in the operating room. I am looking at applying to DO schools as well as Podiatry schools. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions for me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Couple of things to consider, first the AACOMAS allows for grade replacement so your performance being high now will help outweigh poor performance in the past, especially if you retake some of the classes that you did poorly in before. Second, your E.C. will help with convincing ADCOMs to look at you for DO, as they tend to look at the whole applicant (a little better than allopathic IMHO). So my underlying advice is this, is it possible to retake some of the classes that you did poorly in before. However, make sure that the descriptions for both classes match while doing a re-take. Other than that, you should have a decent chance of at least being considered for Medical School all depending on your MCAT score and what you can do to change your GPA when it comes to your primary application (AACOMAS). Good luck!