Just made MDApp profile, advice if possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't imagine you not getting in somewhere. You should be fine.

Should I add more safety schools? Im getting REALLY nervous about it at this point and I dont even get nervous!

Members don't see this ad :)
TPROrgoTutor said:
Should I add more safety schools? Im getting REALLY nervous about it at this point and I dont even get nervous!
well it can't hurt to add more safeties...better safe than sorry, right? your stuff looks really good though.

gapotts2003 said:
Looks very good. Be sure to apply to all of your in state schools and have your apps complete as soon as possible.
I applied to all except UM and all secondaries are completed, all LOR in, and all pictures sent... I just cant see myself at UM for some reason. Good school, not my kinda city.

Last year DopamineSurge (I think it was him) was really unfortunate with his stellar numbers. With your numbers you SHOULD get into somewhere ridiculous IMO. But, you might as well add a few mid-tier to lower safeties, places that you would really like.

TPROrgoTutor said:
I applied to all except UM and all secondaries are completed, all LOR in, and all pictures sent... I just cant see myself at UM for some reason. Good school, not my kinda city.

Yeah. Don't apply anywhere you can't see yourself going. I think it could help to maybe add a few safeties that you can see yourself going to if it ends up that way. There's plenty of great schools I'm sure you could get in anyway. Then have the safeties there just in case.

gapotts2003 said:
Yeah. Don't apply anywhere you can't see yourself going. I think it could help to maybe add a few safeties that you can see yourself going to if it ends up that way. There's plenty of great schools I'm sure you could get in anyway. Then have the safeties there just in case.

With his numbers, I'd add some more *reach* schools as well :D

Alright, Ill go ahead and research some safeties and see where I could see myself ending up. Thanks to everyone who answered, I appreciate it.

You have excellent stats -- I don't think you should worry. If your stats are solid for your state schools, I would not be too concerned. But applying to a few more safety schools never hurts. You can always decide later not to go on interviews once your interview invites roll in -- which I have no doubt you will get a lot of interviews from the schools you are applying to!

TPROrgoTutor said:
Anyone wanna give me "getting in" advice based on my profile. ANY schools I should add, etc... Thanks for the help, Im getting nervous...

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=06381

I don't understand the haphazard choice of schools or locations outside of Fla. If you are interested in being in NYC (as suggested by one of your choices) there are several other schools to add that are also in line with your credentials. (There are other schools in Chicago and Philly as well if those regions are of real interest beyond the single schools you selected, although I gather that those are your longshots). And Duke would be an obvious longshot addition to your list if you are already looking at UNC. I don't see how Vermont fits, but perhaps consider Dartmouth too in that region.

Members don't see this ad :)
TPROrgoTutor said:
Anyone wanna give me "getting in" advice based on my profile. ANY schools I should add, etc... Thanks for the help, Im getting nervous...

I suggest troll! 36 MCAT and 3.7 GPA? Come on, you can't be that smart and not know you are going to do well. If you want, apply to about 10-15 safety schools but really, you know you are better then the majority of the rest of us.

MD-To Be said:
I suggest troll! 36 MCAT and 3.7 GPA? Come on, you can't be that smart and not know you are going to do well. If you want, apply to about 10-15 safety schools but really, you know you are better then the majority of the rest of us.

That doesn't mean you can't ask for advice.

TPROrgoTutor said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Miami is almost like a Latin country transplanted into the continental U.S. Traffic is horrible, everyone speaks so loud and in Spanish, nothing like the traditional U.S cities. And to be honest, I couldn't see myself anywhere else :D

So you are making a good choice by not applying there if you can't see yourself there because it is so much different than everywhere else and if you don't like it, you might be miserable. Nice stats and good luck!

DrVanNostran said:
Last year DopamineSurge (I think it was him) was really unfortunate with his stellar numbers. With your numbers you SHOULD get into somewhere ridiculous IMO. But, you might as well add a few mid-tier to lower safeties, places that you would really like.

Hehe. I'm a legend.

And a girl.

And a special case who was out of the country and applied only to Harvard, Yale, UCSF, Stanford and UCLA as a fully acknowledged crapshoot. This guy won't be a in my position.

dopaminesurge said:
Hehe. I'm a legend.

And a girl.

And a special case who was out of the country and applied only to Harvard, Yale, UCSF, Stanford and UCLA as a fully acknowledged crapshoot. This guy won't be a in my position.

I knew it was you but I forgot the circumstances you were in :D I am interested to see where you end up this year :luck:

DrVanNostran said:
I knew it was you but I forgot the circumstances you were in :D I am interested to see where you end up this year :luck:

DITTO ;)

and thanks.

Congrats, you got all of us to look at your profile and see how great you are.

ironmanf14 said:
That doesn't mean you can't ask for advice.

Sure, he is entitled to ask for advice. But really, if s/he is smart enough to get a 36 MCAT and have a 3.7 GPA but can't deduce that s/he is in the upper tier of applicants and stands a darn good change of getting into a medical school then is makes me wonder how s/he ever got the 3.7 GPA/36 MCAT in the first place.

MD-To Be said:
Wow, discrimination because of good scores. Nice. Sorry guys, Im just as nervous as everyone else. Just asking for help/advice from those who know the system better than me.

Law2Doc said:
I don't understand the haphazard choice of schools or locations outside of Fla. If you are interested in being in NYC (as suggested by one of your choices) there are several other schools to add that are also in line with your credentials. (There are other schools in Chicago and Philly as well if those regions are of real interest beyond the single schools you selected, although I gather that those are your longshots). And Duke would be an obvious longshot addition to your list if you are already looking at UNC. I don't see how Vermont fits, but perhaps consider Dartmouth too in that region.
My choices were made after reading the curriculum and general nature of the med schools I applied to. Certain ones are great schools but didnt seem to have an atmosphere Id be comfortable in (reputations for being overly competitive among students/stuck up/etc...) Basically I got the general areas I like (NC is my first choice of areas), then the curriculum, then the overall atmosphere.

For those that said "congrats you got us to look at your profile blah blah..." Come on guys. It is an online forum. Nobody here will ever meet me and know its me. I will never meet any of you and know its you. Im not the type to try to impress others even if I were to ever meet you... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: to these overly defensive, negative attacks. Everyone posting on here is in the same boat. EVERYONE is worried. EVERYONE wants to get in. All I did was ask for some advice. This is precisely the reason I dislike teaching pre-meds, what is with the over-competitive nature. We are peers. Compete with yourself, not others. Eventually maturity will take hold and defensiveness will fade, but till then continue throwing unwarranted accusations based on something as ludicrous as your suspicion that Im trying to "one up" people over the internet, again PEOPLE I WILL NEVER MEET. Does that really make sense to you?

Thanks to those that actually helped, it is much appreciated. Ive been looking up a few more schools and will look at them. And the one that asked why not UM... the reason is that I don't like the area. TOOOO busy for my tastes. I used to spend every weekend around there for quite a while, guess it just wore thin with me?

TPROrgoTutor said:

Just when I post on your profile I end up reading the answer to my own question about you not liking Miami as a city to live in. Yeah I think you'll be fine but if you really wanted to I'd add a few safety schools just to be on the safe side. That could include some schools like Wayne State, NYMC, Albany, SLU, GW, etc.

But look into the MSAR and their websites to be sure.

I'd definitely apply to Mayo even though its a long shot.

I'd also apply to Wash U even though its a long shot as well as places like Vandy and Upitt. You might have a shot there. Have you done any research???

MD-To Be said:
Sure, he is entitled to ask for advice. But really, if s/he is smart enough to get a 36 MCAT and have a 3.7 GPA but can't deduce that s/he is in the upper tier of applicants and stands a darn good change of getting into a medical school then is makes me wonder how s/he ever got the 3.7 GPA/36 MCAT in the first place.

Yes they are entitled to ask. There was a girl on here who only had one acceptance even with a 42 or so on her MCAT and a 3.9-4.0 GPA and semi-decent extracurriculars.

So don't assume the stats mean automatic acceptance. I personally know other people who had 40+ MCAT scores and good ECs, did well in school and didn't get in every school they applied to or even interviewed at. Rejections still do occur.

So get over it.

TPROrgoTutor said:
My choices were made after reading the curriculum and general nature of the med schools I applied to. Certain ones are great schools but didnt seem to have an atmosphere Id be comfortable in (reputations for being overly competitive among students/stuck up/etc...) Basically I got the general areas I like (NC is my first choice of areas), then the curriculum, then the overall atmosphere.

For those that said "congrats you got us to look at your profile blah blah..." Come on guys. It is an online forum. Nobody here will ever meet me and know its me. I will never meet any of you and know its you. Im not the type to try to impress others even if I were to ever meet you... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: to these overly defensive, negative attacks. Everyone posting on here is in the same boat. EVERYONE is worried. EVERYONE wants to get in. All I did was ask for some advice. This is precisely the reason I dislike teaching pre-meds, what is with the over-competitive nature. We are peers. Compete with yourself, not others. Eventually maturity will take hold and defensiveness will fade, but till then continue throwing unwarranted accusations based on something as ludicrous as your suspicion that Im trying to "one up" people over the internet, again PEOPLE I WILL NEVER MEET. Does that really make sense to you?

Thanks to those that actually helped, it is much appreciated. Ive been looking up a few more schools and will look at them. And the one that asked why not UM... the reason is that I don't like the area. TOOOO busy for my tastes. I used to spend every weekend around there for quite a while, guess it just wore thin with me?

Wow! That was the best smack-down I've ever seen in my life. Damn girl (or guy)! Yep, I'm not getting on your bad side.

My sentiments eggs-actly!

-the true sisyphus

gujuDoc said:
Yes they are entitled to ask. There was a girl on here who only had one acceptance even with a 42 or so on her MCAT and a 3.9-4.0 GPA and semi-decent extracurriculars.

So don't assume the stats mean automatic acceptance. I personally know other people who had 40+ MCAT scores and good ECs, did well in school and didn't get in every school they applied to or even interviewed at. Rejections still do occur.

So get over it.

Guju Doc, your avatar is cool as hell; I have the Om mysel as a tapestry in my dorm room, good choice! even though I'm white...

TPROrgoTutor said:

Oh yeah? Well you're a stinky-poo. Ha!

TPROrgoTutor said:

I was going to ask why not UM, but I just found this post!