Just need some advice on what I should be doing now.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cephhas

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to enter my junior year, kinda had a rough freshman year grade wise but after sophomore year I’m sitting at like a 3.69 GPA and fully believe I’ll be able to raise that this year. (But screw physics in the summer:( )

I have around 1000 clinical hours as a CNA and I have probably 120 hrs as a literacy tutor to an under served population in a large city.

My problem is I don’t really have volunteering (from college at least as I am an Eagle Scout and got plenty through my years high school) and I also don’t have any research. I have like 20 hrs of shadowing and multiple doctors who would let me but they say the hospital won’t let me for the foreseeable future due to COVID-19.

I’m really not sure if I’ll be able to craft a respectable Application next spring so I feel like I might need a gap year but I really want to avoid that. I am okay with DO as I really like EM but I wanna keep my options open so MD is ideal I guess?

I guess I’m just asking what I can do because research and volunteering seem impossible to get into right now. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't go as far to say you'd need a gap year. Clinical and shadowing hours are there and being a literacy tutor is a good EC. Will you be continuing that through your junior year?

Also, do you have the ability to participate in research this upcoming year? That'd be great if you could meaningfully get involved.

Other than that, prepare for the MCAT and go ahead and apply to schools where you're competitive.