just need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarerraGT

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just like the Title of this post states, I need some advice.

After reading a lot of information on this site, it seems to be implied (from what I gather) that research is looked upon favorably (especially if you are published) when looking for residencies. Now my situation is this: Currently I am a graduate student wrapping up my coursework and I have research that I am working on that falls in the neuroscience field. The medical school that I have been admitted to is not far from my graduate school (nor my residence where I will be next year). I have been given the opportunity to expand on my thesis where it has a very good chance of being published within the next year (and maybe even crank out 2 papers by the end of MS2). So, should I continue my research (where I have already gathered the skills necessary to do that work) or start off fresh in medical school? I am not sure which is better to do.

Also, my PI stated that I can even get paid on an hourly basis if i come in during the evenings to work on the research - so not only do I get paid, I will have a really good chance of putting out a paper or two. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, well if you enjoy and are interested in your project then I would go for it. Research and publications are definitely a plus to any application although it's not necessarily required. Also, you have to consider whether or not you will have the time to continue your project during the school year. It can be done, but I'm sure it would be tough. Good luck!

Yeah, stick with what you've got. TO get where you are starting in medical school will take extra time you don't need to spend. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, roll on the one you got.

C

Members don't see this ad :)
dude its pretty easy to get published in med school if u can find the right people. Whatever u are interested in, go to the chair of that department and usually they will get u started on projects or papers that are pretty easy to publish, atleast easy compared to some of the research Ph.Ds have to do.

So if u want, u could keep doing what u are doing, but im sure u will have ample opportunites for research and publications when u start med school

peace

Omar

Sounds like you want to continue the research - I would do it as long as the PI understood that you will be a med student with limited time and energy. I would also reserve the right to take a break from the research in the event that school gets tougher/more time consuming than you think. Most med schools give the first year summer off - and you can work on your research then. If you qualify, in addition to or in lieu of that hourly pay your PI is offering you, you may even be able to get work-study money for that summer. Are you seriously considering Neurology or some other neuro-science related field? If not, it may not count as much as you think it will count for residency. Ex.- dunno if Derm PDs will care about graduate level neuroscience research when there are students who have several publications in the derm literature....

Anyways, good luck with your decision. Make sure you leave enough time for yourself. First year can be tough mentally - getting used to the workload, new people, new location, etc.... The work's not tough but the volume can be pretty HUGE. :eek:

Well in the case of the research, I doubt that a summer would really be able to be enough to put out something worthwhile. The research that I'm doing requires months to really get anything productive to show. The thing is that I enjoy doing it at times, and other times its really annoying (such as when I have to spend 8hrs with a few breaks here and there doing it). So i just figure I can stop into the lab every day for 2hrs or so, slightly more during the weekends and still have time to relax....

i was just wondering if it is really worth it for me to put in all that effort or is it just a waste in the end. For now, I am not sure what field I want to go into and like the other Poster mentioned, going into Derm and having a neuro type paper won't help much. So thats another thing that has me iffy ---- it just comes down to this - is it worth continuing the research (will it give back dividends in the end or just be a waste of time)?