just need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immortalkssss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm an international dentist in toronto,if i don't want to go through the 2 years programme for international dentist,and i want to start over and apply for the regular 4 years dental school programe so what do i need to do in addition to the toefl?what are the requirments?like my degree covers the required credits in the states?what about the financial load?if i get accepted in dental school in the us so am i gonna be approved to get a loan from american banks or should i run straight to the canadian banks because i'm resident of canada
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm an international dentist in toronto,if i don't want to go through the 2 years programme for international dentist,and i want to start over and apply for the regular 4 years dental school programe so what do i need to do in addition to the toefl?what are the requirments?like my degree covers the required credits in the states?what about the financial load?if i get accepted in dental school in the us so am i gonna be approved to get a loan from american banks or should i run straight to the canadian banks because i'm resident of canada
Thanks.

I think going through the 2 years is a little easier, not because it takes less time, but because you won't be required to know basics chemistry, math physics etc.
As far as financial aid, if you are not a permanent resident you won't qualify for a federal loan. However you can still apply to private loans ( in this case you will need a co-signer who is a permanent resident or citizen who has good credit history)

I heard about people who got in and were already dentists. some of them were not required to take the DAT, but they had very good scores on the NDBE. I believe some schools might open this exception..

This is what I found regarding application:

All dental schools consider students who exhibit intellectual competence, manual dexterity, and personal trait s appealing to patients. Other important factors include communication skills, leadership abilities in extracurricular activities, good character, motivation, and interest/experience in the dentistry field. Overall, four factors directly affect admission: 1) academic performance, 2) DAT score(s), 3) letters of recommendation from faculty members and personal references, 4) and impressions made during a personal interview. Work experience and extracurricular a ctivities may also contribute to your acceptance. In the end, the actual GPA number will not be important as the total academic difficulty (i.e. Cooking 101 vs. Metaphysics), part-time employment, participation in varsity sports or other activities encompassing your time as a student.
In conjunction with your GPA, the DAT affects admission. However, there is no way to evaluate a competitive score because each dental school will evaluate the whole student: GPA, DAT, and letters of recommendation .