Just needing some insight, please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gizem926

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

New here and just wanting to get some feedback. My situation is not a good one as of now and i realize that, so constructive criticism please!
As of Fall 2009 I am a 4th year undergrad student in Texas, majoring in sociology...I always was interested in medicine and the idea of becoming a doctor always seemed way out of reach for me. To cut it short, I want to go to medical school and become a doctor. I realize its a long journey from here on out but i know its what I want now.
Here is what I have:
I have only taken Chem1-received a C, Bio 1 - a B, and the chem lab- B. Here is what is terrible: I took bio2 in the summer and managed to fail it twice. so there are two big D's on my transcript. With everything else, (I have alot of hours) I have a 2.7. I realize that the answer is obvious here: study and get good grades. But I am just trying to form a path for myself and know if i'm doing it the correct way. I should be done by May 2011 with all the prereqs, but is that even enough time to raise this gpa? What are your thoughts? Should I consider a post-bacc program? Does anyone know any other details on the UNTHSC-FortWorth or UTdallas's program?
As far as other things, I think i am on track. I am lab tech assistant in a clinic, involved in research at my school, and volunteer at a hospital. I have physician shadowed before, but no longer have time with my job. Open to any thoughts!!

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Also, is it true that DO schools replace scores if you retake the class? I ideally want an MD but realizing I cant be too picky anymore. Thanks!

http://www.washington.edu/uaa/gateway/advising/downloads/gpamcat.pdf

Im really not trying to be mean or arrogant.

Chem1=C
Bio1=B
Bio2=D,D

1. With those classes and others you have 2.7 cGPA (Im assuming you didnt get all A's in sociology classes, which honestly are relatively easy)

2. Bio/Chem/Physics is the bulk of the MCAT...
3. Verbal: I'll assume you can do well on this since you are a Sociology major
4. If you are getting D's in Bio 2, there must be a problem...study habits? not understanding?

You still need,Chem2, Physics 1 and 2, Organic Chem 1 and 2.

You'll need to get A's in all these, since your GPA is 2.7

D.O. schools practice grade replacement

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have 90 credit hours making up that 2.7 GPA, then an additional 90 hours getting straight As could get your GPA to a 3.3, which is still short of a competitive GPA for allopathic med schools, but with an MCAT of 34+, you could still get an acceptance. The quicker path is to plan on going DO, taking advantage of their grade replacement policy, which will allow for a faster rise in GPA. Keep in mind that the replacement class needs to have the same number of credit hours or greater.

Thank you for your comments.

Sociology is relatively easy, and I managed to screw up my gpa while taking not too hard classes. Certain events did happen during my college career which i feel impeded my grades, and i'm not sure how medical schools view these things. I hate blaming grades on outside issues but sometimes it's impossible that it doesn't affect grades.

I am not sure how i managed to fail Bio twice. For one, it was my study habits, I dont think I had that many issues understanding it. and I also strongly feel the professor was...a bitter old man. Anways, a few questions:

1. How high can my gpa realistically go up after 45 hours? (I am thinking probably not that much, unless like what was mentioned, to do at least another 90 hours but i like to keep time a factor in this as well?)

2. What are ideal study habits? (I also research 10 hours a week, and work about 15-20 hrs a week)

3. If I do pursue the DO option, what DO schools would you recommend? I only know of TCOM in F.Worth in Texas but I dont want to bet all my money on that. Also, what kinds of residencies can DO's obtain?

Thanks!

Sociology is relatively easy, and I managed to screw up my gpa while taking not too hard classes. Certain events did happen during my college career which i feel impeded my grades, and i'm not sure how medical schools view these things. I hate blaming grades on outside issues but sometimes it's impossible that it doesn't affect grades.

I am not sure how i managed to fail Bio twice. For one, it was my study habits, I dont think I had that many issues understanding it. and I also strongly feel the professor was...a bitter old man. Anways, a few questions:

1. How high can my gpa realistically go up after 45 hours? (I am thinking probably not that much, unless like what was mentioned, to do at least another 90 hours but i like to keep time a factor in this as well?)

2. What are ideal study habits? (I also research 10 hours a week, and work about 15-20 hrs a week)

3. If I do pursue the DO option, what DO schools would you recommend? I only know of TCOM in F.Worth in Texas but I dont want to bet all my money on that. Also, what kinds of residencies can DO's obtain?

Thanks!

1. Not too much, honestly your GPA is going to need major work, even if you just take 45 hours you will need all A's and still probably be heavily under par, applying DO is basically your only shot.

2. Study a few hours a day for each class. Everyone is different. There are no ideal study habits because what works for me may not work for you. Just study enough to where you feel confident about your knowledge and application of the subject so that come exam time you will be able to get the A's that you need.

3. There are a lot of DO schools out there. I suggest you try reading into them. DO's can get any type of residency, they just have to end up taking the USMLE I believe. I've seen DO surgeons before, but it is rare because they tend to not do as well on the boards/USMLE and that hurts them in the competition.

You need to take as many classes as it takes to get you to a 3.3 at least.

Based on your performance so far, it does not appear that you will kill the MCAT 35+.....

I would for mainly on DO schools and the grade replacement..

Dont forget to get some patient contact volunteering in too if you are serious....it needs to build over several years....you can do just 2-3hrs/wk...

you can get the other ECs later on after you improve your stats!

Thanks!

1. Not sure how high your GPA can go up, it would depend on how many hours you have already. I put all my classes/grades into an excel spreadsheet assigning 4 points per credit hour for an A, and 3 points for a B, totaled the number, then divided by however many hours I have. Many schools also take into consideration yearly GPA, so if you do all your pre-req's with a 4.0, they will definitely take the improvement into consideration.

2. Ideal study habits depend on your individual needs. I also work in a research lab 10+ hours a week and have another job of 20-30 hours a week. I have finally, after three years, discovered how beneficial thirty minutes of reviewing after class is. I try to study for each class 30 minutes to an hour before the next class period and I've had practically no stress before tests and high grades. I have some friends that have no job or research and do nothing but study all day, every day.

3. DO School is probably your best bet. I personally know three doctors at my local hospital that are GREAT surgeons. You can go into any residency from DO school, granted you're a competitive applicant. From what I've heard, TCOM is really good. I also heard that the average USMLE step 1 scores of TCOM students were higher than the averages from most other Texas medical schools. I don't really know much about non-Texas schools

Thanks again.

I did the excel spreadsheet and it was very helpful to lay everything out in front of me...As I was typing my grades in though, it was very hard not to beat myself on how poorly I did. It it not a factor of intelligence, but more of a self discipline issue? Anyway, whatever it was, it is GONE.

I will pursue the DO option, however will not completely give up chances for an MD. If qualifying for a SMP, I know I can achieve to get into an MD program, but DO would be very satisfying as well.

Thanks for all your advice...love this site

If you maintain self-discipline and are willing to put in the time, effort, and tuition money, your future efforts can overrride your current GPA. Your transcript should look like a lightswitch went on and you transformed into the new, hardworking you. Good luck.

Thanks again.

I did the excel spreadsheet and it was very helpful to lay everything out in front of me...As I was typing my grades in though, it was very hard not to beat myself on how poorly I did. It it not a factor of intelligence, but more of a self discipline issue? Anyway, whatever it was, it is GONE.

I will pursue the DO option, however will not completely give up chances for an MD. If qualifying for a SMP, I know I can achieve to get into an MD program, but DO would be very satisfying as well.

Thanks for all your advice...love this site

Even some grads of SMP programs go to DO schools--the Georgetown SMP is probably one of the best and the class of 2008 had 4 go DO and 3 go carribean. Link here:http://smp.georgetown.edu/prevclass.htm

Georgetown looks like a great program...thanks for the link! I only wish it wasn't 40,000 :-( I have support from my family, but I dont think they can give me THAT much support. I'm a Texas resident, so my plan is the SMP at UNTHSC...but I hear its getting more and more competitive as well. Better not to dwell on it too much, and just focus on school :) Thanks!

My point was that even with an SMP you may only get accepted to a DO school. You should be prepared for that.

Georgetown looks like a great program...thanks for the link! I only wish it wasn't 40,000 :-( I have support from my family, but I dont think they can give me THAT much support. I'm a Texas resident, so my plan is the SMP at UNTHSC...but I hear its getting more and more competitive as well. Better not to dwell on it too much, and just focus on school :) Thanks!

I've heard great things about UNT's program. If I remember correctly, it wasn't too expensive either, especially for Texas residents. We really get lucky when it comes to in-state tuition :D