Just needing your opinions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsutigerfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm a 32 year old married mom of 2 who is starting completely over next semester as a full-time biology major. I have the complete support of my husband and family. :cool:

But, I come with baggage, lol. My mother died when I was in high school and my delayed depression over her death caused me to lose interest in college. I went through a few years of bad grades and bad semesters.

After the birth of my son in 2000 I was treated for depression and everything turned around. I entered nursing school and did very well. (I wanted so badly to be in the medical field but didn't have the money or the time then to attempt med school whatsoever.)

The semester before graduation I got pregnant with my daughter and end up getting so so sick that I missed too many classes and failed. I eventually looked at it in a positive way, though. I really didn't want to be a nurse, I wanted to be a doctor... but I still hated having the F's on my transcript. I never wanted to quit something like that, but I couldn't bring myself to go back to something I didn't really want to do.

If I have a stellar app (research and volunteer work) and a great GPA for the next four years, will that somehow overshadow my stupid decisions from years ago? Or is my low GPA just going to be the constant wrench in my plans?

I hate to drag my family through 4+ years of undergrad if there is no possibility that I will ever get in. But trust me, if there's a slight chance, I'll take it!

Thanks so much for reading my post. Have a good day :)

Members don't see this ad.

Really depends on a number of things. What is your cGPA now and how many credits have you taken? Are you interested in DO schools or are you gung ho on MD? Did you ever finish your nursing program? Have you retaken an classes? Unfortunately, you said a lot, but didn't give much information. Numbers and specifics are needed if you want a decent answer.

What we would like to see is continued display of excellence in a program of at least some rigor, to show us you can handle medical school. What's nice about the DO schools in particular is that we wipe the slate clean for people who are willing to start over. We like compelling stories.

To play devil's advocate, you have a history of starting and stopping, poor coping skills. So a devious colleague on the AdCom might ask, what will you do if you get depressed again?

Good luck!

Hi there!

I'm a 32 year old married mom of 2 who is starting completely over next semester as a full-time biology major. I have the complete support of my husband and family. :cool:

But, I come with baggage, lol. My mother died when I was in high school and my delayed depression over her death caused me to lose interest in college. I went through a few years of bad grades and bad semesters.

After the birth of my son in 2000 I was treated for depression and everything turned around. I entered nursing school and did very well. (I wanted so badly to be in the medical field but didn't have the money or the time then to attempt med school whatsoever.)

The semester before graduation I got pregnant with my daughter and end up getting so so sick that I missed too many classes and failed. I eventually looked at it in a positive way, though. I really didn't want to be a nurse, I wanted to be a doctor... but I still hated having the F's on my transcript. I never wanted to quit something like that, but I couldn't bring myself to go back to something I didn't really want to do.

If I have a stellar app (research and volunteer work) and a great GPA for the next four years, will that somehow overshadow my stupid decisions from years ago? Or is my low GPA just going to be the constant wrench in my plans?

I hate to drag my family through 4+ years of undergrad if there is no possibility that I will ever get in. But trust me, if there's a slight chance, I'll take it!

Members don't see this ad :)
FrkyBgStok- Yikes, you're right, I didn't give very much detailed info. Sorry about that. My current GPA is a 2.8, and no, I didn't finish the nursing program. I haven't re-taken any classes yet, either. I am absolutely open to applying to D.O. schools. I am starting my molecular biology degree program from the absolute beginning next spring.

Goro- I am certain, like you said, they will question my ability to handle stress and cope with demanding situations. Who wouldn't? After all, on paper, my coping skills do look weak, at best. That being said, time is an excellent teacher and I am nowhere near the same person I used to be. Although I'm sure every medical school AdCom has heard that before ad nauseam!

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I truly appreciate it.

Hi there!

You can change your name, your hair color, your car, and your attidue, but you can never change your transcript (unless you apply DO).

To be honest, with a 2.8, you're not screwed, but it's going to be an up-hill battle, especially if you have previously earned a lot of credits.

Also, to put in my two cents, it might not be a bad idea to not take a full course load next semester: since you've been out of college and have kids, it might be better to ease back into college so you can find your groove.

Good luck :luck: