Just not cut out for medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DendWrite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Something I've been pondering as of late...is it possible to just not be cut out for medicine (skills-wise) despite having the appropriate grades and MCAT scores to get into a medical school? I feel like my heart is in the right place (I'm not really interested for the main reasons that Dr. Cox was, etc.) and it is something that I have a genuine interest in. Sometimes, however, I question my ability to do well in medical school and to be a good doctor after that. Are doubts like this normal -- not being able to handle the med school course load, not being able to process all that information, and not being able to integrate everything you've learned to become a competent clinician?

Is it essentially that "if you make it through the process" you'll be good to go? OR are some other factors involved, and is there anything one can do to change improve them?

Members don't see this ad.

Something I've been pondering as of late...is it possible to just not be cut out for medicine (skills-wise) despite having the appropriate grades and MCAT scores to get into a medical school? I feel like my heart is in the right place (I'm not really interested for the main reasons that Dr. Cox was, etc.) and it is something that I have a genuine interest in. Sometimes, however, I question my ability to do well in medical school and to be a good doctor after that. Are doubts like this normal -- not being able to handle the med school course load, not being able to process all that information, and not being able to integrate everything you've learned to become a competent clinician?

Is it essentially that "if you make it through the process" you'll be good to go? OR are some other factors involved, and is there anything one can do to change improve them?

Dr.Cox would be very disappointed. I am a bit surprised you did allude to the reasons a fictional character became a doctor though.

I've thought about this a lot too - mainly because I've been unsuccessful in the application cycle. I have a great MCAT score, and do well in standardized tests so I think I could do very well on the USMLE. However, before I get to that stage I have to pass my MS 1 and MS2. Given that my GPA is a 3.4, is that really possible? I think it is. I do not have a shred of doubt that given the proper motivation I can do well in the first two years of medical school.

If there's anybody who is not really cut out for the type of coursework med school involves - it's me. But I'm not about to back away from it either. I have full confidence I can do the work.

So that makes two of us who are "afraid" of medical school. I bet there are more :) The point is I'm sure most other soon-to-be MS 1s are nervous too.