just now got Michigan State Secondary--how selective r they for out of state

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Bruin4Life, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Bruin4Life

Bruin4Life Senior Member

I sent my $55 dollars two weeks ago and yesterday I recieved an invitation to fill their secondary. Are they testing our interest in them by first asking us for the the money and then pretty much inviting everyone to fill out their secondary?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Szkwicz

Szkwicz Senior Member

It is a little lame that MSU-CHM asks for the money up front before deciding if a person gets a secondary...I'm not sure if they screen or not for the secondary app.
    But anyways, in response to the title of your post, yes Michigan State CHM is very very competitive for the out of state folk. I think about 90% or so of the incoming class is made up of Michigan residents, and the school is fairly small as med schools go. So there's not all that many out of state slots available. Plus out of state tuition at MSU is nuts! I myself am quite glad to be in-state as far as applying to MSU goes...
    but congrats on your secondary and best of luck!

4. Peregrin

Peregrin Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just a little more info...

MSU-CHM is indeed insomewhat small (106 max), they usually receive around 3000+ applications which they screen prior to sending secondaries.

It is a reasonably competitive school, and out of staters don't get much of a break. You've paid the money, so it seems like you should go for it.

Good luck!

5. docab

docab Member

As already noted, it is much more competitive for out-of-state applicants to get in at MSU as they are not suppose to take more than 20% from out of Michigan. Class size is a little over 100, so that's around 20 students. Good news: They definitely DO NOT send everybody a secondary and if you received one as an out-of-state applicant, that means there was something they liked about your application. If the school's mission and 2nd-year problem-based learning approach really fits your interests, take the time to fill out the secondary essays. I think it's a great school. Good luck.