Just observed two autopsies!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinokoboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very very interesting!! Anybody who loves A&P will totally love this shadowing experience!!! I know it doesn't have any clinical interaction, but I'd like to use this experience on why I want to be a doctor. I like how the resident was able to feel and observe the various organs and pinpoint the person's cause of death (it was a type of cancer). What do you guys think about telling adcoms I like pathology?

Members don't see this ad.

Very very interesting!! Anybody who loves A&P will totally love this shadowing experience!!! I know it doesn't have any clinical interaction, but I'd like to use this experience on why I want to be a doctor. I like how the resident was able to feel and observe the various organs and pinpoint the person's cause of death (it was a type of cancer). What do you guys think about telling adcoms I like pathology?

Did you shadow your local coroner or what? I don't see why telling them if they asked would hurt you.:)

There is nothing inherently wrong with honesty in this process, but you should thoroughly researched the field before professing interest in it. Only forensic pathologists do a lot of autopsies these days. The vast majority of practicing pathologists do surgical pathology, with a minority focusing on other areas within the purview of the medical laboratory.

As with all strategies, this route has both risks and rewards. A genuine interest in pathology may turn off some adcoms while enticing others. But you cannot be all things to all people without telling them what they want to hear, and that usually means being dishonest.

Members don't see this ad :)

Third year, trust me, is difficult, and if you aren't a people person, it can be hell. I can't imagine any adcom would hold an interest in pathology against you, however, make sure you can handle patient interaction, otherwise you might not make it through med school

do it if your interviewer is a pathologist or a full-time researcher.