Status
Not open for further replies.

EMstudent1

2+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hi,

I just wanted to hear some thoughts on my situation. So I just got my grade back from my block 2 rotation. Ended up with just a pass which I was shocked by. I emailed the clerkship director and she said that I had positive feedback but wasn't as aggressive as other students and that was what brought my grade down. She reassured me that there wouldn't be any red flags in my SLOE and that it would be a positive (although I assume probably mediocre) letter. I asked to meet with her next week to go over my evaluations in an effort to try to understand how this happened as I had ensured to ask for feedback from every attending after every shift and I had received almost entirely positive feedback outside of one shift with an attending who picked me apart repeatedly.

I just was curious how detrimental this would be for my application and if I should increase the number of programs I am applying too.

I am a pretty average US MD applicant. Step 1 and Step 2 scores right at the national average.
Clinical Grades have been a mix of HP and P during my third year.
Some research, and a good bit of leadership/ECs.

As far as fourth year goes I switched late so my rotations have been:
Medical Toxicology: Honors - Got a letter from this rotation which should be pretty good.
EM SUB-I: Pass - aforementioned case
EM SUB-I: Not completed - but after seeing my evals I am on pace to Honor with some buffer room at the midpoint so worst case should be High Pass.

Letter from Medicine Rotation Third year is also really positive and I have that as well.

My adviser had previously told me to aim for around thirty programs and now I feel really like that might be too little given that I have a Pass with a mediocre SLOE coming in.

I go to medical school in the Northeast and was hoping to stay there in a preferably urban or close to urban program, if that helps give me advice!

If anyone has any thoughts/advice/reassurance that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

I just was curious how detrimental this would be for my application and if I should increase the number of programs I am applying too.

I am a pretty average applicant. Step 1 and Step 2 scores right at the national average.
Clinical Grades have been a mix of HP and P during my third year.
Some research, and a good bit of leadership/ECs.

As far as fourth year goes I switched late so my rotations have been:
Medical Toxicology: Honors - Got a letter from this rotation which should be pretty good.
EM SUB-I: Pass - aforementioned case
EM SUB-I: Not completed - but after seeing my evals I am on pace to Honor with some buffer room at the midpoint so worst case should be High Pass.

Letter from Medicine Rotation Third year is also really positive and I have that as well.

My adviser had previously told me to aim for around thirty programs and now I feel really like that might be too little given that I have a Pass and mediocre SLOE coming in.

If anyone has any thoughts/advice/reassurance that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
OP
E

EMstudent1

2+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
If a moderator wants to delete the thread that is fine, I see that posting in the sticky might have been a better option here. Sorry guys.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Closing per request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Ads