Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Just plain scared

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JulianCrane, Feb 11, 2002.

1. JulianCrane

JulianCrane The Power of Intention
    10+ Year Member

So, I'm a sophomore whose doing the whole pre-med thing and living in my college's residence halls. In a couple years, I hopefully will be in med school, and I am terrified by that sudden thrust of real independence like finding one's own apartment, buying furniture -- everything like that, let alone paying for med school. I have like no money in the bank! So, what should I do?? I feel like I'm gonna fall flat on my face. :Sigh:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. souljah1

souljah1 Attending
    10+ Year Member

Hello there.

There is this amazing thing called financial aid that allows you to apply to and complete medical school with no money in the bank. I feel what you are saying, a few years ago I had a lot of trepidation when I thought about transcending into the world of individual independence. You will be fine.

Depending on what state you live in, there are some great state schools with very low tuition and fees. CA (if you can get in) has excellent opportunities to recieve a great education for a very low price. And if you do choose to go to a private school, many of them do provide grants/scholarships depending on your family's income/need/etc.

I'm one broke ass mo'fo' as well, but if you really want to become a physician, it will be worth it. Good luck to you.

4. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

The VAST majority of medical students are not paying their tuition out of pocket! And as for independence, you'll find plenty of medical schools with residence halls if that's your thing. The transition from undergrad can be as great or as little as you want it. You're even still going to be in regular old lectures the first two years.