Just received mcat score(2nd time). My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytest

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am applying this cycle M.D. only. My stats are below. If you could comment on my chances then that would be great.

21 year old taking a gap year.
Major: Biomedical Engineering
Cumulative GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.82
State of Residence: New York
MCAT:
1st time: 11/6/14, Total: 31
2nd time: 11/9/12, Total: 32

Relevant Experiences:
Clinical: 300+ hours in Emergency Department
Research: 2 years+
Extras: Mentor, Tutor, Teaching Assistant, Club Leader,
Misc: Working on a publication for next year.
Letters: 5, 2 from science, 2 from research mentors, 1 from clinical program director.
First Time Applicant.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice improvement on the MCAT Verbal, I am guessing you should be cozy for many of the NY State schools except for the top-tier. What are your thoughts on schools?

Nice improvement on the MCAT Verbal, I am guessing you should be cozy for many of the NY State schools except for the top-tier. What are your thoughts on schools?

Thanks, I was really hoping for a 10 in VR, but can't do anything about it now. But, pretty much my thought. Going for schools with median mcat scores of 32-34.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I was really hoping for a 10 in VR, but can't do anything about it now. But, pretty much my thought. Going for schools with median mcat scores of 32-34.
Add a few safety schools to the mix, then, just in case. You have a shot at the better schools, but you want a safety net so you don't have to reapply.

Add a few safety schools to the mix, then, just in case. You have a shot at the better schools, but you want a safety net so you don't have to reapply.

Definitely but pretty hard since average accepted mcat score seems to be rising for nearly all schools.

When did you submit your primary?

Let's see your list. MSAR Online is your friend.

This was my list before I received my most recent mcat score. Most likely going to tweak it and add some schools with lower mcat scores. But, what do you think? Average accepted mcat scores are next to each school as listed on MSAR.
qydev7.png

I think your list looks good. Have you started pre-writing?

I think your list looks good. Have you started pre-writing?

Yup, I plan on going really hard and submitting these secondaries asap. I actually haven't officially applied to all these schools. I have been waiting on my mcat score. But, thanks for your comment.

Yup, I plan on going really hard and submitting these secondaries asap. I actually haven't officially applied to all these schools. I have been waiting on my mcat score. But, thanks for your comment.
You would be complete by mid September in all likelihood. That is less than ideal but workable.

If you are NOT a NJ resident, delete the NJ schools. Ditto U CT. Forget Brown because they favor their own UGs. Add Drexel, Temple, VCU, EVMS, Hofstra, Albany, Rochester, Tulane, U Miami, Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts), MCW, SLU, Rush, Rosy Franklin, U VT (maybe), Va Tech, and the new MD schools in MI.

You're fine for ANY DO program, so start with NYITCom, Touro-NY, PCOM, LECOM and work outwards.

qydev7.png
[/QUOTE]

Delete the Jersey schools and add Temple and Drexel.