willlynilly

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
Status
i just saw my last patient of medical school! 60 year old with earwax impaction.... exciting, life changing stuff. but now i am done with rotations and seeing patients! woo hoo.

po' boy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
in six days i will finish too -- can't wait.

i did a 2 month research project instead of taking interview and vacation months.

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2004
Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
I have you beat... I finished seeing my last patient in november!! Been on vacation and non-clinical electives ever since... This post is coming from Nanjing, China (providing the red army doesn't block it).

12R34Y

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2000
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I'll be done around january of my fourth year next year. Most at my school typically finish around february march with may graduation. that's with several months off before then as well.

I took toxicology, spanish and a summer externship that takes 3 months off of my fourth year electives. if you don't take anytime off from july to december many are done by the beginning of january. many take a few months of between july and december for various reasons and so have to work until february or march.

fourth year is going to rock!

congrats again.

later

Hercules

Son of Zeus
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2000
Mobile, AL
Status
Attending Physician
I'm jealous guys. I finish up next Friday (which I'm incredibly excited about), and I haven't taken any time off since 3rd year started. Our third year takes a full year from the start of July to the end of June, and our 4th year is made up of 16 weeks of AI's and 16 weeks of electives. How many weeks are you guys required to do 3rd and 4th year?

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2000
Salado, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Congrats! Great feeling, isn't it?

Add me to the professional patient-less slacker group. I hung up my short once-white coat two months ago. I did anesthesia last month and am doing research this month. I'm done next week for good.

We have a full third year as well, although we do get off a week or so over Christmas. We have 40 required weeks of fourth year including a primary care month and a research month. I did two months of research between first and second year that counts towards this year.

So, fellow slackers...how are y'all spending your off time (other than you lucky dogs going overseas)?

I'm being pretty boring. Playing with my kids, doing crosswords, reading decidedly non-medical books and fishing. You'll note that worrying ain't on that list!

Take care,
Jeff

joaquin13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2003
Visit site
Status
Wow...all of you are extremely lucky! I dont finish until end of April, graduation at end of May. I haven't taken any time off since 3rd year ended, except for a week at Thanksgiving! i wish i had all that time off! Impressive. But I think if I had all that time off, I would go broke! I would need to get a job working somewhere, b/c time off=spending $$$$$$$!!! Does anyplace hire medical students or are we considered "overqualified"

ERMudPhud

Back for a visit
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
My fourth year consisted of 1 month of peds-ID, a medicine Sub-I, an EM elective, and 1 week of ENT that I had missed during third year. The rest was spent "back in lab" most of which was actually spent traveling and doing fun stuff like a 2 month elective in Alaska. Of course I had to spend a fair bit of time on the PhD to qualify for that easy fourth year

po' boy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Third year at my school was 48 weeks, with one week of vacation per semester and two weeks over the holidays in december.

Fourth year at my school is ten months total (each elective is one month), including two months off for interview and vacation, with requirements being one month-long Sub-I, one month-long classroom elective, five of the eight months being clinical electives, and no more than two months spent in a single field (like EM). Up to three months can be spent away from campus doing pretty much any away or international elective you can set up. This was my fourth year:

July - EM away, worked hard.
August - EM home, worked hard.
September - Performing Arts Medicine (like outpt Sports Med for dancers, musicians, singers, old piano teachers, etc.) Worked 9-10 until 2 at the latest. Skipped several days, no one cared.
October - required classroom month. Skipped most of the classes, no one cared. Still learned a lot from the syllabus and had time to take boards.
Nov/Dec - research project and residency interviews. Writing the paper up now. Was away from campus almost all of this time.
January - peds radiology. Days were 8:30-1:30 (unless there was an interesting 7:30 case conference), with LOTS of coffee breaks. Missed over a week for final interviews and second looks, no one cared. Still learned a fair amount.
February - SICU Sub-I, since EM doesn't count for the 1 Sub-I month requirement at my school. This is a really really easy sub-I -- days are 8-4 or so with weekends off, qweek call until 10pm but most of the OR cases finish well before then and we're released after we've admitted a patient or two, usually around 6 or 7 at the latest.
March/April - vacation. Going to Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore.
May - graduation.

OP
W

willlynilly

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
Status
my school actually has a lot of requirements.
19 wks of specialties (ENT, dem, ortho, uro, rads, anesthesiology, optho, neuro)
4 wks of medicine or peds subi
20 wks of electives

the key for me was doing one rotation on top of another... so we have this class called ECM, essentials of clinical medicine, where we TA M1/M2. we get two weeks of elective times for meeting 4 times for two hours! and then as a M2, i took an elective where i preceptored with an internist 15 times over the course of a year, which was another two weeks.