Just saw one of my LORs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Tweetie_bird, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

Ok, I am not sure if I should be scared about this or not, so please give me your input.

Although the letter is supposed to be confidential, my LOR writer was kind enough to let me read it once it's submitted. So, he had something written in there which **could** work against me. Here's a synopsis (not word for word):

In my years of working with Tweetie, I have seen that she has one weakness in that she is perhaps a bit idealistic about medicine. With the onset of HMOs and other blah blah blah, I hope she will not be disheartened with what she may eventually see in the field. My best guess is, that she will survive the storms as she has in the past in our lab. If anything, her love of medicine and idealistic ideas will only serve as an inspiration for those who become disillusioned by the current situation in medicine.

I am GLAD he was honest, but I just don't know how the AD COMS will see this. Well, what he said sounded much better than that, but this is the gist. I am surprized he said I am too idealistic, considering. . oh well. What I am wondering is, how much will this hurt me, if at all?

Thanks much for any input.
    Tweetie

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

it's intended to be a good thing. if you are really concerned then address it with your secondary. otherwise, i'm sure you can prove yourself in interviews. no big deal.

4. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

don't worry - this is standard 'recommendation letter-ese' ie it is usually suggested that when writing a letter for someone you do not write absolutely everything positive or the letter does not come across as an honest assessment. Instead writers are urged to put in one "negative" aspect of a persons character and then comment on how in the long run this will probably be an assett - its the same thing recommended to answer interview questions such as "what is your greatest weakness"

Your letter writer has obviously had experience writing such letters and has written it in this standard manner....they have probably made it a stronger/more honest seeming letter by doing this

5. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

I guess my concern is that I don't want AD COMS to think I am some tutty fruity who hasn't thought enough about medicine, hasn't matured etc. Hell, I've taken 3 years off just to see what it's all about. I know of a couple of people who were not accepted BECAUSE they looked like they were too idealistic at the interview. I guess that's what it comes down to--the LOR may say whatever it wants, but if I present my true mature self at the interview, it may over-ride the ideal stuff in me. :confused:

6. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat
    7+ Year Member

Just don't be a pie-in-the-sky, wide-eyed idealist in your interviews and you'll be fine.

7. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

Geez, you're right. I guess if your recommender had to pick a weakness I don't know he would have picked on idealism when he evidently could have commented on your inability to take any criticism, even of the positive variety, an obsession with worrying about the wrong things, or the ability to see the bad side of when he is trying to help you. Sux, eh? Maybe you should confront him about it. Then he could choose between controlling and anal too....

seriously, I understand your concern, but this is standard letter writing technique. He did it to help you not harm you. Focus on the good....

8. mikegoal

mikegoal rebmeM
    10+ Year Member

i would love for someone to say that in a letter of recomendation for me

9. Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member

i understand that adcoms like to read LOR's like this - I don't know that an adcom be anything but impressed with your idealism, Tweetie. PS - how're the MCAT kiddie's treating you? :p

10. jot

jot

actaully - i would go ahead and throw a sentance in your secondaries to this issue - i think some old weather-beaten codgers on adcoms might view this is undue naivite. its not a bad thing as long as you can show that you are grounded in the real world issues of medicine. as i've said in other posts, i'm a fan of idealists, but idealism tempered with realism is an even more powerful combo.

-jot:)

11. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

LOLOLOL Boy Wonder, you got me roflmao!! You guys are right, I am being a bit anal and too concerned over something that might eventually look good. Thanks for listening to my qualms, i don't know what I'd do without SDN. I just need to look at it in a good way.

Bikini P--Kiddies are treating me fine! Love being around for them esp when I know they appreciate the help.

I guess idealism is not that bad if you know how to cope with the realism. It's always good to have an idealistic goal to reach out to, and if things don't work your way, it's good to improvize. I am an idealist. . it's time I deal with it and learn to figure out how to justify it in the face of realism these days.

I JUST LOVE SDN!!!
    Thanks guys.
    Tweetie

12. jalan2

jalan2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Tweetie,

Another thing that you can do is talk about the reality of medicine in your secondary application essays. For example, if you've had clinical EC's in a free clinic or serving the underserveds, it would be great if you can talk about that. That way the adcoms can see that you have seen the reality from your experiences, and that you're balanced in your judgment because of that. So your idealism would actually be a great thing that will keep you going.