Just something I wanted to share

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PooshBag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I tend not to post often, but I lurk a lot. I spend a lot of time reading threads and articles on SDN. There was a comment made by @Med Ed on a WAMC thread a few months ago that I had kept and wanted to share:

"...One of the reasons medicine can be so disillusioning is that some people who enter the field tie their happiness and self-worth to the concept of being a physician. Then you become one and realize that happiness and self-worth aren't something you achieve with a career milestone. They were inside you all along, you were just so transfixed by your goals that you failed to noticed them. Then you feel stupid. ..."

Interpret it as you will. I found it to be relevant to my life, and wanted to share it.

-Poosh

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
It's a good quote, thanks for sharing. This can be said about really any profession. Doctor, banker, scientist, etc. You're so much more than your profession; don't let that define you. If premeds take this to heart during their app cycle I think they'll be less neurotic and overall less stressed.

After I read this I had to change my ways in making medicine my life. haha not kidding. Just started setting up non medical goals cause I realized my only hobbies have been watching shows and participating in sdn discussions+pity+

Also watching every medical student's channel show me ppl exercising has me asking why not me.