AlanG87

noob
10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Orlando, FL
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, I am starting my freshman year of college in 6 weeks and thought you guys might have some words of wisdom.

Looking back at your undergrad, is there anything you wish you would have done more of/less of?

What are your thoughts on joining a fraternity. I personally like the idea of the commraderie (sp?) but as a pre-med what do you guys think?

I've always wanted to be a doctor which feels weird because so many of my friends are entering college as "undecided" and I'm starting off in a major called Molecular Biology and Microbiolgy...haha they call it m+m for short...

thank you for your input :thumbup:

go lakers

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
CA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
grades are huge. don't get yourself in a hole as far as gpa goes because working yourself out of it can take a while. so, keep the academics a priority.

everyone i know that joined a social frat in college had one quarter where grades took a nosedive, like D's and F's and repeating courses. so be cautious, unless maybe it's a pre-med frat?

and get involved with either a club that you believe in or find a research position now. if you can show you stayed committed to an activity or project for 3 years, that's a strong resume builder.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
Eye on the prize. Study hard. Ignore the morons. Take classes for the joy of taking them, and for heavens sakes, MAJOR IN WHAT YOU LIKE -- NOT WHAT SOME STUPID PREMED ADVISOR TELLS YOU TO MAJOR IN.

About the Ads

ND2005

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Atlanta
Status
Pre-Medical
Run away from this site like it's the plague. Only come back when you need help with the MCAT or your apps (so not before junior year).

Join a fraternity if you want to. Don't not do it b/c of med school.

Major in a discipline you're excited about.

Work hard, play hard. College should be a fun experience in and of itself, not just a four year waiting period where all you do is try and get into med school.

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
AlanG87 said:
Hey guys, I am starting my freshman year of college in 6 weeks and thought you guys might have some words of wisdom.

Looking back at your undergrad, is there anything you wish you would have done more of/less of?

What are your thoughts on joining a fraternity. I personally like the idea of the commraderie (sp?) but as a pre-med what do you guys think?

I've always wanted to be a doctor which feels weird because so many of my friends are entering college as "undecided" and I'm starting off in a major called Molecular Biology and Microbiolgy...haha they call it m+m for short...

:thumbup:

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
ND2005 said:
Run away from this site like it's the plague. Only come back when you need help with the MCAT or your apps (so not before junior year).

Join a fraternity if you want to. Don't not do it b/c of med school.

Major in a discipline you're excited about.

Work hard, play hard. College should be a fun experience in and of itself, not just a four year waiting period where all you do is try and get into med school.
:thumbup:

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
Everything said so far is good.

Don't come back here for a few years.

Fraternity. Good. (Go Beta)

Your major sounds good. Just do whatever sounds interesting, stay active and if an activity seems fun, explore it, find ways to do more. Be aggressive.

Study hard, but enjoy.

rajad10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Depakote said:
Everything said so far is good.

Don't come back here for a few years.

Fraternity. Good. (Go Beta)

Your major sounds good. Just do whatever sounds interesting, stay active and if an activity seems fun, explore it, find ways to do more. Be aggressive.

Study hard, but enjoy.
go ATO ;)

SitraAchra

Attending Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Ehh...frats = paying for friends. I can see the benefit if you're an out of state student and don't know anyone. Otherwise it's just an excuse to feign exclusivity. Work hard play hard always wins! All advice has been sage in this thread, except the greek shizzle.

kevster2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Get involved in activities early on, try to start work in a lab as a freshman so u can do research as sophmore. Make sure your grades stay up etc etc.

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
go to office hours
suck up to proffs
makes for better LOR's

and kill that facebook/myspace addiction

Mirc™

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Status
I'm also starting college soon too and I'd like to know how exactly you get envolved in things such as research and volunteering, does your pre med advisor usually tell you everything?

OP
A

AlanG87

noob
10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Orlando, FL
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks guys for the responses so far. I like the idea of getting involved in research early on, how do I go about doing this. I'm only a freshman and haven't done any AP credit so I don't really know too much in the sciences, but it does fascinate me. Do I just say to a science professor, "hey I would like to help out in your lab, what can I do?"? Any tips you guys have for getting into research positions your freshman year? Also, I am pretty sure I want to do the fraternity, at the least I will definitely check them out during rush week.

Thanks so far guys, and anyone else feel free to respond.

:cool:

About the Ads

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
AlanG87 said:
Thanks guys for the responses so far. I like the idea of getting involved in research early on, how do I go about doing this. I'm only a freshman and haven't done any AP credit so I don't really know too much in the sciences, but it does fascinate me. Do I just say to a science professor, "hey I would like to help out in your lab, what can I do?"? Any tips you guys have for getting into research positions your freshman year? Also, I am pretty sure I want to do the fraternity, at the least I will definitely check them out during rush week.

Thanks so far guys, and anyone else feel free to respond.

:cool:
I don't think you will have much luck with a research position freshman year. For chem research, most profs would want you to at least have finished Gen. Chem and done well in the lecture and lab because they don't want somebody who doesn't know what they're doing. Obviously, if the prof. is doing organic research, you would need to have organic under your belt also. So for now, don't worry about the research, just make sure to do well.

I would assume bio would be the same thing, they would want you to have at least the intro bio, but probably some upper level bio because they want students who have at least an idea of what they're doing and how to do what they need to do.

Dancing Doctor

Redneck Woman
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Clawson, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
musiclink213 said:
I don't think you will have much luck with a research position freshman year. For chem research, most profs would want you to at least have finished Gen. Chem and done well in the lecture and lab because they don't want somebody who doesn't know what they're doing. Obviously, if the prof. is doing organic research, you would need to have organic under your belt also. So for now, don't worry about the research, just make sure to do well.

I would assume bio would be the same thing, they would want you to have at least the intro bio, but probably some upper level bio because they want students who have at least an idea of what they're doing and how to do what they need to do.
It depends on where you go to school. I went to a small school where all students got research experience 2nd semester freshman year as a requirement if they were a science major. After that semester you could fill out papers and an advisor would ask you to join his/her research team. I did research for 3.5 of my 4 undergraduate years and looking back I wouldn't have changed any of it.

odrade1

UASOM alum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2005
Planetary
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Have fun in college. Don't be in a hurry to graduate. College is the most fun you will have, with the least stress and least responsibility of any other time in your adult life. I spent six years in undergrad taking what I wanted, partying when I wanted (while making sure to have good grades) & loved every minute of it. My partner finished in 3 years and went straight to dental school. He was miserable in undergrad, and more miserable in his professional school experience.

Take classes that get you off, not what you think will impress an adcom.

Drop the M&M, unless microscopes really & truly get you hard. M&M (as a major) will be either not any more helpful or only marginally more helpful than art history, philosophy, or finance. You can take the minimum science requirements to get into med school and major in something else entirely.

Be open to other career ideas. Good that you want to be a doctor. Better if you sniff around other ideas too, then decide that you really know what there is out there & you still want to put your fingers in and on smelly people & their smellier orifices.

The one thing I wish I had done differently is that I wish I had done a semester or year abroad as a junior or sophomore. It gets harder to travel the older you get, and once professional school starts it gets very hard to do something cool like spend a year in Germany. Now that that opportunity has passed me up, it will likely be 10 or 20 years before I get to live in Europe for more than a week or two at a time.

Don't bite off more than you can chew. A large number of smart people don't do that well in college. In many cases, they overestimate their abilities and energy levels while having fun. You must find the balance between having a lot of fun, taking a full load, and maintaining a 3.7 or better.

Don't get anyone pregnant (or get pregnant). This happened to one of my friends and it will delay him getting to med school by about 2 years.

Good luck & have fun.

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
AlanG87 said:
1. You can play as much as you want, as long as you work much, much harder than you play.

2. After your first year it's really, really tough to get your GPA to move (up or down). Slay those first two semesters and you'll be much better off for the subsequent six.

3. Some of my most rewarding and memorable classes were also some of the least challenging. Don't feel bad about taking easy A's when they're offered.

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Uhhh don't join a frat. Unless you're one of those guys...

AlanG87 said:

SitraAchra

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
also - don't do crack.

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Don't go to a rockin' awesome concert the night before a physics final.

Don't buy into the binge drinking scene. Or if you do partake, realize that it sucks to study with a hangover and half your weekend's gone. :)

Do not join a fraternity your very first semester. Feel free to rush this fall though, but do not join until spring semester, if ever.

Be wise with your money. Don't blow it. The earlier you save and [learn how to] invest, the sooner you'll be a worth a million. I'd kill to be 18 again.

Beware your surroundings and stay away from thugs with guns, if possible.

Eat really heathily. Exercise often, both weights and cardio.

To all those who say "take your time in college. Don't rush to graduate." Well, I'm 23 and I'm still in undergrad (changed majors half way through junior year + decided on pre-med as well + took 2 years to do an intra-bacc at another school), I say **** that! Graduate in four years! Life's too short and school's too expensive. If I had it my way, I'd skip high school and go straight to college. I sat in on some classes at age 10 and they weren't that difficult at all at the local state school.

Take life one day at a time. Don't freak out and start studying for the MCAT now. Wait a couple years.

Do extracurriculars because you genuinely like them, not to pad your resume or application.

Stay away from easy women.
Stay away from ugly women. (kidding)

Broaden your horizons A LOT. Don't get pre-med tunnel vision and get stuck in the biology/chem department all four years. Take classes for the pure joy of learning and make friends outside of science.

Don't let naysayers get you down. I've learned that the bigger your dreams are, the more jealous enemies you will make. On the flipside, don't ever be arrogant or condescending and try to keep your pre-med status secret, i.e., don't go around bragging that one day you'll be a doctor.

Get plenty of sleep, but don't sleep for a million hours either.

Enjoy college.

Write down your goals on an index card and look at that card morning and night. I read about this strategy in a Sports Illustrated article on Duke's Shane Battier, and we both got a national championship that year in our respective fields. Writing your goals down really works.

That's all for now.

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
go lakers said:
everyone i know that joined a social frat in college had one quarter where grades took a nosedive, like D's and F's and repeating courses. so be cautious, unless maybe it's a pre-med frat?
that's ridiculous. people have bad semesters for all sorts of reasons and most people in fraternities do not have horrible grades. for that matter, i have never even heard of a school where the greek gpa isn't higher than the general student body's gpa.

and, since a bunch of other people threw out their suggestions, as a former rush chair, I say Go Lambda Chi

About the Ads

SitraAchra

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
jbrice1639 said:
that's ridiculous. people have bad semesters for all sorts of reasons and most people in fraternities do not have horrible grades. for that matter, i have never even heard of a school where the greek gpa isn't higher than the general student body's gpa.

and, since a bunch of other people threw out their suggestions, as a former rush chair, I say Go Lambda Chi

I think we'd all do a bit better if we had that cabinet drawer full of all the tests and years worth of homework assignments. ;) :thumbdown:

HoodyHoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2003
Chitown
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
jbrice1639 said:

I say F having to buy your friends at a frat. If you're sociable and likable, then you will meet plenty of people and will be able to network. The greek system can be good for making connections and networking with alumni. but if you can do that on your own, avoid being in a stupid frat.

blackle

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2005
Status
Medical Student
the greek system REALLY depends on the school. if it's a small school (like 1500 people) then everyone knows each other so much that joining a frat won't exactly cut you off. at a huge state school, being in a frat can prevent you from just keeping the same friends from high school and not branching out. definitely rush. join one, just be prepared to be the guy that studies all the time.

that too. be the guy that studies all the time.

and if nothing else, GO TO OFFICE HOURS. especially if you go to a big school, or you end up being a nonscience major on a premed track, this will mean the WORLD when you're needing science LOR's.

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
as far as getting research positions....

read some articles from various faculty...you don't have to understand everything, just find something you like

then email the proff (or visit office hours), and tell them that you like x topic u read about

guaranteed they will spend 20 minutes talking about their work..most of which will go over your head....but ask questions anyway.....after that, ask if theyr still working on that or a smiliar project, and if they have spots

if they say yes...woohoo
if they say no, ask who else in the faculty is....they will probably drop some names...congratulations, you just networked

and finally, one very important tip.......no matter what happens, if you sat in that office for more than 10 minutes, send them a thank you email for taking time to talk

Hope14

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
NYorker
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
dont mess up!!!!!!!!! dont take college easy and dont think like ehhh wateverr i still have time....no thas the mistake i did......stupid mistake!!!!!!!! so grades from freshmen year are important tooo...but yea do have some funn....but dont delay school work.................

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
SitraAchra said:
I think we'd all do a bit better if we had that cabinet drawer full of all the tests and years worth of homework assignments. ;) :thumbdown:
that's not really all that helpful...plus, i never had professors lazy enough to re-use tests, so old tests wouldn't really be all that relevant...just extra practice problems...

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
HoodyHoo said:
I say F having to buy your friends at a frat.
i've always loved this argument...especially since living in a frat was about half the cost of living in a dorm...guess buying friends is a pretty cheap route to take... :thumbdown:

OP
A

AlanG87

noob
10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Orlando, FL
Status
Pre-Medical
blackle said:
the greek system REALLY depends on the school. if it's a small school (like 1500 people) then everyone knows each other so much that joining a frat won't exactly cut you off. at a huge state school, being in a frat can prevent you from just keeping the same friends from high school and not branching out. definitely rush. join one, just be prepared to be the guy that studies all the time.

that too. be the guy that studies all the time.

and if nothing else, GO TO OFFICE HOURS. especially if you go to a big school, or you end up being a nonscience major on a premed track, this will mean the WORLD when you're needing science LOR's.
i'm going to UCF (university of central florida)..in orlando..I believe we just passed UF for highest enrollment in FL with ~48,000 students this year...I think we're like the 7th largest university in the country..

definitely not a small school... i know i'll at least rush to see if it's for me or not...

thanks so far guys...another question, in classes that are subjective grading (like english for example) what is the best way to do well? i figure for essays i should probably just find out where a prof stands on my topic and write what he believes...what do you guys think? :confused:

anything else :thumbup:

SitraAchra

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
jbrice1639 said:
i've always loved this argument...especially since living in a frat was about half the cost of living in a dorm...guess buying friends is a pretty cheap route to take... :thumbdown:

LOL you must not be from the south. Greek = $$ down here

About the Ads