Just starting Pre-Med student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MH27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dropped out of High School when I was 15. Got a G.E.D when I was 18 (after working a few menial jobs.) Decided I wanted to go to college and spontaneously chose the Pre-Medicine program.

My first semester in college is about to end. I took 21 credit hours of classes, namely being English 101, Chemistry 1, Principles of Biology(pre-req), Computer Applications, and Intermediate Algebra with review. My community college has a waited grading scale so I should manage at least a 3.5 GPA this semester. I may get an A- in Principles of Biology but realistically I will get a B+. I may be able to get a B in my Chemistry 1 class, but realistically I will get a C+.

I missed over two months during this semester due to illness and laziness. I know I would of have had all A's if I went to every class and I will from here on out.

I am really just looking for some guidance as what to do to correct my errors. I feel that they are detrimental even though this is only my first semester. I plan to get all A's from here on out and I know if I set my mind to it I will. I really want to be a doctor in medicine someday because I genuinely feel I could help people. I am already looking into volunteering for a health clinic, and I already did a 3 mile walk for Multiple Sclerosis that I raised money for. I plan to keep doing activities like this. How would I be able to prove to someone I did these also?

Members don't see this ad.

I dropped out of High School when I was 15. Got a G.E.D when I was 18 (after working a few menial jobs.) Decided I wanted to go to college and spontaneously chose the Pre-Medicine program.

My first semester in college is about to end. I took 21 credit hours of classes, namely being English 101, Chemistry 1, Principles of Biology(pre-req), Computer Applications, and Intermediate Algebra with review. My community college has a waited grading scale so I should manage at least a 3.5 GPA this semester. I may get an A- in Principles of Biology but realistically I will get a B+. I may be able to get a B in my Chemistry 1 class, but realistically I will get a C+.

I missed over two months during this semester due to illness and laziness. I know I would of have had all A's if I went to every class and I will from here on out.

I am really just looking for some guidance as what to do to correct my errors. I feel that they are detrimental even though this is only my first semester. I plan to get all A's from here on out and I know if I set my mind to it I will. I really want to be a doctor in medicine someday because I genuinely feel I could help people. I am already looking into volunteering for a health clinic, and I already did a 3 mile walk for Multiple Sclerosis that I raised money for. I plan to keep doing activities like this. How would I be able to prove to someone I did these also?

Please do not stress. I will be headed to my #1 choice MD school this fall after recovering from 2.5 cum gpa freshman year. You are fine. Strive to get good grades, but "planning on getting all A's" will stress you out if you dont achieve that. You do not need all A's to get accepted. Basically my point is, shoot for those A's every time, but don't think your dream is over if you dont get one every time. From what I've heard, if you get stressed out over stuff like that in undergrad, med school will be hell. Good luck.

Last edited:
I agree with mdbound.

Don't worry about extracurriculars until you've proven that you can produce excellent academic results. Clinical experience gained at the rate of 3-4 hours per week will be fine. Some type of weekly hnads-on nonmedical community service would be nice to get involved in. But that can wait until next fall. First nail down your study strategies.

A C+ in Chem I won't kill your hopes. Get a better grade next semester and you will have redeemed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I am going to a community college like I said, so I feel I am kind of required to get all A's. I mean I just feel like, although I know nothing about Medical Schools, that if I can't get straight A's in a CC than I am clearly not cut out for Medical School. I mean I understand it is stressful , but I believe it is no where as bad as Medical School, so I am trying to adjust to it, being a drop out and all.

A lot of folks have a bad first semester as they adjust to a new educational environment in college, and they go on to do very well. I think you have a great attitude and I hope you hold onto your resolve.

It isn't necessary to take so many credit hours. As long as you are full time you're fine, and with a lower class load you can give more time to individual classes. Med schools like to see that you can succeed with a heavy load, but the load need not all be academic. Work, volunteering, research, family responsibilities, hobbies, and sports all have a place in a balanced life. You're also expected to have good time management skills, and not bite off more than you can chew.

I could understand how they look at that and my academic shows that I am not using my time well this semester; but I honestly procrastinated way too much, my grades could of easily been 4.0 if I would of not skipped so many lectures and labs. It was a mistake of immaturity and I have grown from it.

This summer I plan to take College Algebra, Eng 102, Psychology, and Medical Terminology (which isn't required but I feel that would be extremely helpful although I believe it will not count as an elective.) Then fall I plan to take Chemistry 2, Trigonometry, Biology 1, Physics(which I might wait until I take Calculus since Calculus based physics is harder). I might add another class seeing as I guess that course load is not really too much.

You don't need Calc-based Physics to do well on the MCAT. You only need to take it if your major requires it. Taking three classes with an associated lab might be stressing your new-found orgnaizational skills though. (Labs take way more time than the credit hours suggest they should.)

You don't need Calc-based Physics to do well on the MCAT. You only need to take it if your major requires it. Taking three classes with an associated lab might be stressing your new-found orgnaizational skills though. (Labs take way more time than the credit hours suggest they should.)

Is there any extra classes that help with Med School/MCAT that aren't too obvious? Like I am taking medical terminology so human anatomy and physiology should be easier

P.S.S. Also how do you all deal with girlfriends? I am dating long-distance already which is what I assume happens to students once they get into a Medical School

Last edited:
Is there any extra classes that help with Med School/MCAT that aren't too obvious? Like I am taking medical terminology so human anatomy and physiology should be easier

P.S.S. Also how do you all deal with girlfriends? I am dating long-distance already which is what I assume happens to students once they get into a Medical School
Other classes to consider that help with the MCAT as well as with med school are Biochem, Physiology, Genetics, and Cell Biology.

WAMC is not the place for relationship advice, but there are other parts of SDN you can go to for that. Look further down on the Forums list to All Students Forum and at Spouses and Partners for that type of help.

Well I appreciate the help. This forum is really awesome for people in our field and I continue to check it a lot. I just am always eager to hear advice from those who will give it. I plan on going to KU medical since it is in state here, but we will see.