just take welbutrin to quit smoking??!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sugarpill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone heard about taking welbutrin to quit smoking? kelly ripa was on letterman last nite & said it helped her quit. she said she just didn't want to smoke anymore after taking welbutrin.

Members don't see this ad.

we have a few patients that are on wellbutrin to quit smoking. whether that works or not... well they are still taking it... :p

Yeah, it helped me. It's just like she said; you really don't feel like you have to smoke anymore. It was really effective for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. Zyban is the same drug as Wellbutrin. Zyban was marketed for smoking cessation, but you can use generic buproprion as well.

Helpful hint: if you get the script to alleviate mild anxiety, instead of for smoking cessation, your insurance will cover it. Otherwise, it's out-of-pocket.

I know from personal experience that Chantix works very well. My husband had been trying to quit for years, and Chantix worked for him when nothing else did. His doctor said that he has had 6 patients try Chantix and all of them quit smoking within 4-6 months. I've known a couple people who took Wellbutrin and it did seem to help them a little. Hopefully the insurance companies will start covering Chantix once they see how effective it is.

My fiancee was a smoker for 11 years or so and she had tried to quit in the past with no success. She'd be fine for a short time and then one little thing would trigger her to be upset so she'd go back to smoking

The doctor put her on welbutrin along with taking the patch at the same time. The day after starting the medication (since the doctor suggested to not just totally quit till a few days after starting the pills) she tried a cig. and almost wanted to vomit from the horrible taste and has been smoke free now for well over a year. Since she wasn't strong willed to quit, I give the medication helping her at least a high grade.

We had to take a 2 lecture series on smoking cessation which covered all of the OTC and Rx products available for smoking cessation including things like the Quit key etc. We were told by our instructor that intentionally billing the insurance for Wellbutrin instead of Zyban when you know it is being used for smoking cessation is considered insurance fraud. I wouldn't recommend it!

lots of people use wellbutrin for quitting..

if you wanna hit up some peeps with first hand knowledge go to

http://www.quitnet.com <--- stop smoking site.

Never tried it myself but quit anyways.

We had to take a 2 lecture series on smoking cessation which covered all of the OTC and Rx products available for smoking cessation including things like the Quit key etc. We were told by our instructor that intentionally billing the insurance for Wellbutrin instead of Zyban when you know it is being used for smoking cessation is considered insurance fraud. I wouldn't recommend it!

I am not informed enough to actually argue with the instructor but since many people do fall into a depressed/anxiety state when quitting smoking, is the medication not really being used to treat those symptoms? I don't think it is a clear cut argument.