Just the usual writing critique before I go and write that monster.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperSaiyan3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo. SS3 here.

I did one of these writing style critiques a couple months ago and people told me that my grammar skills could be matched by a kindergardener. I've got 2 weeks before my MCAT and I was hoping that my level of writing could be assessed by nothing better than the public opinion. So give it a quick read! I wrote this sucker in the 30 minute time period. I believe that the MCAT uses the score 1 to 6, so tell me what you think!! (btw, aren't you pretty much guaranteed a 3 if you complete the 3 objectives?)

Lies are often less harmful than the truth.
Describe a specific situation in which the truth might be less harmful than lies. Discuss what you think determines whether or not lies are less harmful than the truth.

In contrary to the classic saying, the truth will not always set you free. Lies are essentially a way for a person to adapt to a situation and avoid possible, short-term harm. In the period of World War II, admitting your religious status of Jewish faith in a crowd of Nazis undoubtedly spelt out an eminent death and prosecution. Although their religious fervour would prompt any Jewish person to proudly state their faith when questioned, it was a smarter move to simply lie in the Nazi’s face and move on with their life. If one were to speak the truth absolutely, one may find that the truth does not always solve their problems.

Likewise, if one were to lie indefinitely, one will find themselves in a similar predicament. This type of detrimental effect is portrayed in long-term relationship where a spouse lies to his or her partner, then creates additional lies to cover up that said lie. Lies are often harmful in situations between people who regularly interact with each other as they tend to accumulate over time. When the foundation of the relationship is based on lies, the only way a relationship can grow is, ironically, through more lies. Long-term lies give birth to distrust and suspicions that weaken the bond. For example, Statistics Canada has surveyed that 85% of divorces occur in marriages due to the excessive build-up of lies.

There is a time to lie and a time to tell the truth. Similar to making an educated hypothesis, one must make a reasonable choice to either lie or speak the truth. This choice depends on the situation and the people whom you will be lying to. It is not abnormal to witness a kid exaggerate and tell lies about themselves at a summer camp. It is, however, abnormal to witness an employee lie about his non-existent MBA at a job interview. There are moral implications tied to each and every lie, and it is up to the individual to assess how each lie will ultimately determine the course of their life.

-SS3 :luck:

Members don't see this ad.