Just thought I'd get others opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

covy456

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A pre-dental friend of mine showed me this website and told me that i should enter my stats to get information and odds of getting into medical school.

A litle information is that I am applying for the Fall 2011 year. I am an Ohio resident my whole life. I have 3.9 GPA in BIolgy with a 3.9 in scince, i spent all of my electives on 400 level sicences including biotechnology, human genome, bio engineering, immunology, and biochemistry.

My MCAT was a 31 O, 11 B 10 V 10 P, which i was happy with because I am still currently taking the 2nd semester of O chem adn Physics.

I have a research capstone I need to complete for graduation minimum 24 page body and must be presetned to my school's research council to graduate as well (Lourdes College), but other than that i have little other research experience.

I have 5 years of employment in a hospital surgical unit..mainly transporting patients adn equipment..but I have shadowed and observed for many hours as well.

My community service has dwindled my college years due to time restraints but I tutroed elementary school math adn science from 1998-2005 as a volunteer.

I applied to Ohio State, Wright State, TOledo (resident of too), Cinci, Case, and Wayne St.

OSU is my dream school and I dont think i am that bad off a point or two better on my MCAT would have helped but too late now. I know I am not very competitive for Case and was surprised they sent me their 2ndary application ( maybe everybody gets it) but I believe i farley competitive otherwise.

Any feedback is great
Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

How many months/years of research did you claim to have at the time you submitted the application?

HS volunteering isn't much regarded on a med school application, so having nothing recent may hurt you. Your clinical experience is superb, though. How many hours do you work each week during the school year? Hopefully you made the shadowing clear on your application.

Any leadership, sports, hobbies, or artistic endeavors listed on the application? Any rural experience at all?

You only applied to 6 schools? Did you apply early in the cycle?

Lots of schools send a Secondary to everyone and don't screen until after the receive it (and the fee). How many other Secondaries did you get, and have you returned them all?

With a 3.9 cGPA/31 your chances are ~75ish % for an acceptance as extrapolated from AMCAS stats for those with numbers like yours in the past three years.

It isn't too late to make improvements that will positively impact this application cycle if you send in periodic update letters.

Thank you Catalystik for the feedback,

My application was completed in early Spetember and all say pending Admission Boards. I recieved secondaroes from all but NEOUCOM, and I had them filled out in advanced.

I still havent heard about interview which is what worried me. Gettin on this website has made me see how little research I actaully have. BBy the time Im done with my capstone I;ll have 150 hours of research approximently, but I did not mention that, only that I was in a research class.

U also said my high school volunteer services are a little dated, should I try adn volunteet at mission or food banks over the holiday season at all, i also have a guatamlal mission trip i might be able to take up.

I will be shadowing full time over the summer as well because i will no longer be in school so that should help...but how am i able to communicate this inforamtion with ADCOM at this point.

THank you again

Members don't see this ad :)
And i work 25-40 per week depending on my class load... I was full time for three years and then part time for the last two..but i go back to full during summer winter break

Shadowing next summer won't do this application cycle any good. Can't you get it in over winter break instead? And if you already have 60-80 hours, you're fine as you are and don't need more. (Though a rural experience could help.)

Yes, your research activity is on the light side, but it's better than none.

Community service volunteering is more impressive if it's a regular weekly commitment (even just two hours a week) rather than a large block of time over break, but do what you can do. I really don't think you need to go to the expense of a trip to Guatemala. Your local community needs your time too.

Hopefully your application makes your work commitment clear so adcomms will take it into account.

Interviews will be extended through March, April, even May depending on the school. Be patient, but as always, continue to improve your application, just in case . . .