Just took AAMC 11 and kinda worried now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osprey099

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got a 32 (13PS, 9V, 10BS) on AAMC 11 and I'm kinda worried about BS since I've gotten 11/12 on my other AAMC BS sections. I'm actually not quite worried about the Ebola type passages (only missed 1 question in Ebola passage and 2 questions in the CTL passage). What I got destroyed on was questions about seemingly random things such as the question asking about difference between maltose and cellobiose, the question about the binding of thymine&adenine, the question about synovial joints, and some stupid reading errors I made. Most of these questions were discretes or discrete like questions that I'm getting wrong and this is worrying me. I do not feel like I have major content weaknesses as I've been studying for this test for more than 3 months already. Should I be expecting these (like those mentioned above) weird discrete or "discrete-like" problems on the real MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

just took this test the other day.

as far as the bio goes, i was having trouble remembering the questions you were talking about based on your descriptions. i never learned the word synovial joints, but i got that question right just by reasoning. i knew what a ball and socket joint was, and based on the other names it made sense to be the right answer.

basically im saying you need to take more tests, passages and questions to learn how to apply your knowledge.

Same thing here, the random discretes are what get to me. I'm guessing a better understanding of more specific (but still semi-general?) would help, either that or just flat out memorization. I'm interested to see what other people suggest for this.

Wow, I just realized the question about the binding between thymine and adenine was another reading error I made. Apparently, my eyes did not notice the 5' and 3' beside the thymine and adenine when I was taking the test..:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't stress too much about one test. If you overall test average is good you have nothing to worry about. Most people would be more than glad to get a 32, it is not a bad score.

i got a 29 on AAMC 11, and then a 29 on the real thing. There's gonna be some random discretes, but it sounds like you did pretty good anyway.

For bio, it's not about knowing the right answer as much as it's about knowing the wrong answers. I barely remember a lot of the details that my instructor said would be testable, but I've been able to score relatively high due to understanding general themes/concepts in biology and using this to help me eliminate wrong answer choices and make good guesses.

got a 27 on AAMC 11 and a 30 on the real thing. very good practice for the BS section. just try to take 11 a week before so you have time to soak it all in vs doing it 2 days before the real deal