Aug 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
My scores: 21 PA, 20 QR, 18 RC, 22 BIO, 19 GC, 19 OC, 20 TS, 20 AA.

I'm a little different in that this is my third time applying for school. Are my scores competitive enough as a third time applicant? My GPA isn't the best, a 3.3 all around. The previous times I applied with a 17 bio, 23 GC, 25 OC and my AA and TS were 19.

I'm asking if I should retake because I had a senior moment on the first part of the DAT. I ran out of time! For both the GC and OC sections I skipped 5 each...completely left 10 questions blank. Chalk it up to nerves and being out of practice for a few years but at least my bio isn't such an eye sore anymore.

I studied for about 3 weeks and used the same old cliffs and destroyer that I used previously.

Chemistry: I did each section 3 times. First time just doing it off of what I remembered then looking at the solutions and trying to understand the concepts, second time reviewing the concepts of the things I got wrong, and third time I treated it like an actual test.

Bio: I read the Cliffs and typed out my own notes alongside the Feralis notes and supplemented that with the destroyer.

RC: nope

PA: Crack DAT. I highly do not recommend the Crack DAT. Both times I took the DAT I felt like the sample tests were not representative of the actual test. I was scoring in the 24-25 range on their tests. I just did some searching and it looks like most people don't recommend Crack DAT and I echo that. This is coming from a 2 time DAT taker. I feel like my natural PA skills are very high so if I didn't, I think my score would be in the teens. I only had the basic version though.

QR: I do extensive math everyday as part of my business. I guessed on 4 problems because I ran out of time. I would definitely practice QR if you don't do math everyday.

Reactions: ywcywc

FloorMatt

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Im confused because your second DAT scores come out to a 22 TS. Anyway how are your ECs and are you applying to the same schools? It looks like you have a slightly better shot this time around if you've been doing some shadowing and volunteering in the last year

Dec 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Some schools take the highest scores of each section from all your attempts on the DAT. Doctoothache has a list of those schools somewhere...consider applying to those schools and you'd be more competitive there.

RuffDay

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I bet you would have scored a 21+ for both chemistries if you guess on the questions.

I took the DAT twice, and for the math section I guessed like 10 of them straight up. If I were to leave them blank, I would probably have gotten a 16.

I would retake if I know that I could do better.

OP
O
Aug 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I think my dental experience is very strong. I worked as a dental assistant during my first and second time applying so I have 1000+ hours of paid experience. I thought all that experience would land me a few interviews but I didn't get a single one. It was really tough. I applied to 10-15 schools each time.

If I were to retake, would it be too late for this cycle? Since I left those 10 questions completely blank, I know I would have gotten 20+ if I hadn't goofed so badly. The only thing is it's not worth it to me to put off applying for another year when my business has taken off. It seems like most of you think my DAT is good enough if all my other things are good enough so I'm leaning toward just applying and crossing my fingers.

Thank you for the insight everyone.

Last edited:

RuffDay

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I think my dental experience is very strong. I worked as a dental assistant during my first and second time applying so I have 1000+ hours of paid experience. I thought all that experience would land me a few interviews but I didn't get a single one. It was really tough.

If I were to retake, would it be too late for this cycle? Since I left those 10 questions completely blank, I know I would have gotten 20+ if I hadn't goofed so badly. The only thing is it's not worth it to me to put off applying for another year when my business has taken off. It seems like most of you think my DAT is good enough if all my other things are good enough so I'm leaning toward just applying and crossing my fingers.

Thank you for the insight everyone.
How many schools did you apply to?

OP
O
Aug 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I've received a few messages from others that are studying for the DAT so I thought I would share a little more. Neither times I used qvault nor Chad's nor bootcamp.

Chemistry: I believe knowing the reason behind the reactions is the most important. Protic/aprotic, nucleophilic/electrophilic will get you close 80% of the time every time.

Bio: I think what changed this time around was I memorized the Cliffs book versus taking the chemistry approach where I just knew the general idea. The bio section is not kind and it helps to know as much as possible. Like I said I made my own notes as I went thru each cliffs section and I also started making connections between sections which helps make knowing everything easier. Ex. fungi and bryophytes both share which dominant generation? or BacteRia are R selected.