just took DAT ---> what is my chances of getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddswannabe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello im an newbie here!!!
Could anyone give me an idea what my chances of getting in are?
Just took DAT and here are my score:
Gen chem: 23
Or. chem: 22
Bio :21
Quan. Reasoning: 23
PAT: 21
My major is Biology at University of California, San Diego
My GPA: overall : 3.05
science: 2.95
Any input is really appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

oh, i forgot my reading score is 21 too
and plus more than one year of volunteering at a dental clinic
Thanks

What is your reading score? What was your academic average? Those numbers would help in an honest evaluation.

The numbers you did post show that you did very well on the DAT (your low was a 21). Nice job!

That will help to compensate for your poor grades.

If you choose your schools wisely, you shouldn't have trouble getting interviews and several acceptances.

Your DAT scores will really be a boon to you. By the way, are you done with school, or do you have another year left?

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you ItsGavinC!!
I still have 3 more bio upper division satellite classes and 3 more bio lab classes. So, i think i will be studying really hard this fall and winter in order to boost up my GPA a little bit.
I know that i won't have any chance in my state schools like UCLA, USC...therefore i did apply to other private schools in East Coast like NYU, Boston, Tuft, Creighton, Nova.....
Do you think i have any chance in NYu or Boston, ItsGavinC??

You are my inspiration. I have that exact same GPA. YOUR DAT scores rock. I would say you are in NYU and BU and maybe Temple or Nova. Of course this depends on how well you interview but I would say NYU for sure. Congrats, you are in somwhere.

Damn homie.... you got worked in undergrad (eventhough ucsd is a great school) but you killed the DAT so if you have good letters of rec, extracarriculars, etc..... you'll get in.

As long as your not lame at your interviews you should be able to secure a few acceptances at the east coast schools for sure. Again, congrats on the DAT..... most UC students seem to murder the DAT so going to a competitive school such as ucsd really pays off and the adcoms will know the difference between ucsd and some wack school. Good luck!

I'd say that if you are interested in staying in California, you have a good chance of getting into USC, decent chance of getting into UoP, and small chance of getting into UCLA/UCSF.

This is the kind of feeling that I got from the different schools during the interviews:
- USC is not as competitive anymore, so it shouldn't be too hard to get in with ok GPA and good DAT
- UoP is pretty competitive and looks favorably upon high DAT score as well as extracurricular
- UCLA/UCSF prefer to have higher GPA and high DAT score.

DDSWANNABE

I guarentee you'll get in or my name isn't Charlie Brown.

Those DAT scores ROCKED. Keep in mind that the DAT is the equalizer and with those scores the Dental school Ad-coms will see that you're GPA could have been ahigher at another school...........I think you should also consider UPenn and Coumbia. With those DATs, they will give you consideration. I know people think you must have a mega high gpa for those schools, but the truth is they look at more than just scores.......

Congrats, and relax. Now just get the apps out and enjoy yourself.

:clap: :clap:

Hi ddswannabe - I sent you a private message. Please check it and congratulations on you DAT scores. I agree with the rest of the group that you'll get in somewhere!

Great scores! Im sure you'll have a good chance of getting in somewhere. If you are applying to get in fall 2004, apply immediately!

If you don't mind my asking, what was your DAT study technique?

if you dont mind me asking..how much did you study for the dat...i mean, a 23 is an amazing score esp of a b average student...i'd guess most 3.0 students would want to study for the dat too much and would get 16-17s..so how much did u study

Hi, all
Thank you for your replies. i feel a bit relief now.
In order to get those score, i took Kaplan course and i think that the practice questions in the Kaplan library or workshop did help me a lot. I spent almost 3 hours everday before the spring quarter over to study the material. After that, i spent 8 hours everday to review the materals and practiced the exams from Top score CD, Kaplan Cd and some other books that i borrowed from my friend.
I didn't have any problem with Quantative questions. In the practice exam, i think i did better than the real DAT (i dun know it seems that i picked a wrong major).
Overall, i think that the more you sweat the better outcome

How many months or weeks did you spend on the 8 hour per day section?

about 3 weeks. Then one week before the test, i just kept flipping from page to page in the Kaplan review book and the notes i took from all questions that i got wrong.
oh one more thing, i also tried to remember Kaplan flash cards too.