Just took MCAT.. please help..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamidace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I took the MCAT on July 24th and I think I bombed the PS section. So I want to retake it. Now do you think I should sign up for a test date after August 23rd (like Sep 8th) so I can see my grade first and if by any chance it is good just cancel the retake or should I sign up for an earlier date like August 9th? I don't want my MCAT to be so late and I don't know what to do. I also have another question. If I sign up to retake the MCAT how do I show it on my AAMCAS application. I already have July 24th on there and it does not let me to put another date. Please help. Thank you...

Members don't see this ad.

For your first question, yes I think it is a good idea to see your scores before you retake. People often think they bombed their PS and end up doing pretty well on it. Plan for your retake, study hard in the mean time, but don't be surprised if you turned out ot have done well.

As for your second question, I have no idea. However, when AAMC receives your 2nd MCAT score, they'll probably update all the schools automatically anyway.

I think this is a highly relevant quote from another SDN forumgoer:

As I said in the other thread on this exact same topic, I:
  • almost voided
  • studied every day for the 30 days before score release
  • looked on the AAMC website for testing sites to reregister
..and I got exactly what my AAMC diagnostics told me I would. Practice test range was 37-40, and I made a 39T.

Just chill! :luck:

If you have the cash, you can reregister and just cancel for the 50% refund if you need the peace of mind. Light studying for the next 30 days can't hurt-- worst case scenario you know the sciences a little better than you used to.

Take home message? The recent CBTs are (most likely) harder than the practice tests you took, but they tend to "curve out" to similar scores.