Just Took Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparhawk

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took step one about 1 week ago and here are my thoughts:

-It is a very thought provoking exam. Nothing really gets you ready for the type of questions that are seen on this exam.

-I would do the following:

1. Kaplan Q-bank is a must, this is the closest thing to the Step 1, but like I said nothing really comes that close to the real thing. I had about 10 questions verbatim from the q-bank. I did about 1700 of the 2000 questions.

2. FirstAid is another must. If it is not in FirstAid, there is a small chance that it is going to be on the exam.

3. Questions, questions, questions. Wake up, do about 100 Qs and then review the exams (looking at all the Q/A). This should take about a total of 5 hours. In the evening (after a nice break) review an entire subject. THis might take more than one day.

-Keep in mind there are about 50 Qs that are experimental, so some of the weird questions that appear on the exam are not counted.

-I did not take any breaks during the exam, not even lunch, but I think that it would be a good idea to take a lunch break.

-Some sections I did run out of time, but most I had about 10-15 minutes left after doing the exam for the first time. But I found the Kaplan blocks to me the same with respect to time.

-If I think of anything else, I will let everyone know.

Members don't see this ad.

Sparhawk:

Thank you for posting this. It is very helpful. If you have any more insights please let us know. Thanks again for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

Cheers,

M-

Hello, congratulations on finishing a huge exam!! Can you please tell me approximately what the distribution was regarding your exam - regarding Molecular Biology, Pathology, Pharmacolgy, etc? What other review sources did you use? Thanks in advance!!